SASS Wire Forum

Club Application

Mingo Frank

I don't find the club's requirement excessive, although I would insist on the checkout before joining.

I suspect the differences in opinion are based on regional differences and the different political makeup of the states we all live in. For me in CT and Chuckaroo in MD, there are people in the state government that would like nothing better then to shut down a gun club. Two clubs here in CT have spent tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars on legal fees in the past 5-10 years fighting to avoid be closed down. Fortunately they succeeded. It is irresponsible of any club to risk getting shut down over a member who is unable, for any reason, to practice safe gun handling skills on a consistent basis.

I can understand a safety proficiency check maybe, but they wouldn't get any money until I knew that I could shoot there.......BA

+1. Unfortunately in todays social climate, every club has to be concerned with safety of the current and future members and the liability posed for the club of each. It is not cheap (overhead, liability insurance, etc.) to put on functions, and activities that bring in shooters that they are not familiar with, and have not demonstrated the basic ability to perform the task at hand. This is not a checkers tournament. There is a likelihood that exclusion of anyone based on anything other than safety concerns, can be against the law. If pressed, even clubs that "blackball" potential new members due to personal differences with existing members, can have an issue waged that costs money for everyone. I have no issue with making sure that whoever wants to participate is qualified and able to follow ALL the rules without any question, but I DO have an issue with paying for membership and then being told you can't. If this is the case at this club (and I have no idea where this is) I would move on to another club.

Please do not read anything more into this post except that safety for all should always be the main concern at any function.

Given today's litigious society, I easily understand why a private shooting organization would want to insure, as far as possible, that its potential members are safe gun-handlers or are willing and capable of becoming such. Last thing you want is a lawsuit arising from the unsafe actions of a member.

The statement about not being guaranteed shooting privileges is simply a legal stance allowing the club to protect itself and its members by reserving the right to restrict those privleges should a member become either unsafe or troublesome. Several clubs in our region, for example, have banned a shooter who has displayed a history of both unsafe and confrontational behavior.

I really have no personal problem with the subject club's practice.

Did anyone actually read this? This is not an application to shoot their match, but an application to be a member of their club. I don't think I have ever seen a "SASS club' membership alone give you shooting privileges at a gun club.

This offers practice time for cas. This seems to be easy entry. My local gun club has a very involued process of membership requirements. Occasionaly we get a macho man that gets his feelings hurt by having to demonstrate he can at least hit the brem. They are usually directed to the door.

There is nothing in that application that should bother you.

Clubs have their rules and some have insurance requirements.

Our host club also performs criminal background checks as well. You have a problem with that?

Join or not, it is your choice but I see nothing wrong with what they are asking or requiring.

I have a bigger problem with the application being posted on the wire, for bashing purposes, in such a way that they don't really have the opportunity to defend themselves. Although it helps prove the point that there is nothing wrong with it, the wire has a reputation for juvenile approaches at things like this.

Typical for folks that really don't have the responsibility and liability of running a range.

+1. There is nothing wrong with a club requiring basic skills. At the Mima Marauders we require an orientation class and shooting two stages before shooting a match (unless you have shot a match at other clubs). The Black River Regulators have similar requirements.

+1. There is nothing wrong with a club requiring basic skills. At the Mima Marauders we require an orientation class and shooting two stages before shooting a match (unless you have shot a match at other clubs). The Black River Regulators have similar requirements.

How do know whether they've shot a match at another club????

I know you know everything...but...

<_<

How do know whether they've shot a match at another club????

I know you know everything...but...

dry.gif

I simply ask them when they check in. I take a person at their word until proven otherwise. I've had a few say they've shot IPSC and such, but I tell them that is not CAS. Now you on the other hand will have to bring three forms of ID, score sheets for the last three years, and... :lol:

Archived