SASS Wire Forum

uberti cattleman sight?

Russ T. Sites

both my uberti revolvers (gunfighter 4 3/4 45lc ) shoot the same about 2 " low @ 30 ft. I corrected the shooting left by trigger control but I have to bring the front sight up high to hit center. does the front sight need filed down?

Well the short direct answer to your question would be yes, however for the CAS game I would not file on them for just 2", I would try different loads first and just hold over a little second, but that is just me.

why not just file the front sight a little . keep it the same profile. results your pistols are on with your load. be sure to sight in off of a rest and remember a little goes a long way! easy to take off harder to replace......dusty

I've found that on my pistols, I tend to shoot the same as you; low and left. Being careful with your trigger control will fix the left tendencies, but under the stress of a match, you might not get it quite right.

I had my barrels turned about 3 degrees left. This eliminates the left tendency, and seems to bring the POI up a bit, too. When it didn't, (one pistol), it took literally four light file strokes to bring the shot where I wanted it.

Almost every single one of modern made SAA revolvers will shoot low with light loads, because the factory sights them in with factory loads, heavy bullets. And, it was traditional to sight revolvers in at about 50 yards or more, back in the day.

So, almost every gun needs a little taken off the front sight, especially for our short ranges. Make sure you are happy with your load. Make sure you are not flinching the shots down (shoot from a sandbag support for your wrist). Let a good shooter double check that the guns shoot low for her. :) Then light filing to bring the front sight blade down to get you on target will do it. But, as mentioned, 2 inches low is not all that far off, even if you need to hit a clay bird set on a stand at 10 yards. (about the toughest revolver shot we have to do).

Good luck, GJ

Archived