SASS Wire Forum

Building a Remington Bulldog revolver

Cool project -- and I'm not certain it's all that much a "fantasy." I've seen all sorts of cut down guns from the Old West, and once cartridges were around, the first to be modified were older cap and ball weapons "let's cut down this old junk gun - it'll work as a belly gun and you won't have spend the money on a new one..."

Looking forward to seeing it complete (heck, it looks shootable in the picture).

Interesting snubby! Be sure to let us know (in the video series) what is holding the base pin in!

In the pic on the link, there seems to be a small cross-pin just under and behind the head of the base pin.

Unfortunately, the video doesn't make that clear, but I can explain it. The base pin is held in place by friction. There is a nut installed under the basepin, held in place by the screw thar used to secure the rammer. The flat of that nut bears against the underside of the basepin.

It was a neat solution, but imperfect. If the gun was mine I'd just put a set screw through the underside of the end of the basepin and be done with it.

I made this gun 10 years ago for a friend of mine named Roughshod, and I guess it works well enough to suit him.

Archived