SASS Wire Forum

Gun Bluing

Leadville Lefty SASS 87631

I have a friend of mine that is looking for someone to reblue the barrel of his Henry rifle?

If you have any recommendations we would appreciate knowing who does excellent bluing.

howdy ll, yor buddy might consider rust blue as an option . you could ask around local more gunsmiths are doing this than there used to be. also don't forget Turnbull. they are the best and what everyone compares to.............dusty

Original Henry rifle? Ummm, I wouldn't reblue that. Even if I were shooting it in matches.

Reproduction Henry (Uberti)? There's only about a hundred or more gunsmiths around the country who could blue that barrel back to factory or better quality. Turnbull does a great job, but that expense and turnaround time is not needed for a typical SASS competition gun.

Perhaps you ought to tell us more about what your Friend is trying to accomplish.

Good luck, GJ

Original Henry rifle? Ummm, I wouldn't reblue that. Even if I were shooting it in matches.

Reproduction Henry (Uberti)? There's only about a hundred or more gunsmiths around the country who could blue that barrel back to factory or better quality. Turnbull does a great job, but that expense and turnaround time is not needed for a typical SASS competition gun.

Perhaps you ought to tell us more about what your Friend is trying to accomplish.

Good luck, GJ

My friend has a Uberti Henry. He has the barrel removed, and he is telling me that there is a sleeve of some sort which is not the same material as the barrel, and that is what he is having problems with. If you know anyone having experience with rebluing barrels on this type of gun, please let us know. Also he is a stickler for making sure the edges are not rounded on the octagon barrel.

He is new to SASS and is getting his arsenal ready for shooting. I would bet he will gently put his rifle down also his shotgun. He won't be fast but pretty :)

My friend has a Uberti Henry. He has the barrel removed, and he is telling me that there is a sleeve of some sort which is not the same material as the barrel, and that is what he is having problems with. If you know anyone having experience with rebluing barrels on this type of gun, please let us know. Also he is a stickler for making sure the edges are not rounded on the octagon barrel.

A sleeved (relined) barrel in a Henry would be non-factory. What is the problem that is concerning him? Is the liner showing at the muzzle? If made of the a similar alloy steel, any blue should work to match color between barrel and liner. If the liner is not smoothly blended to the outer part of the barrel, I can see how it would be noticeable, but it sure won't affect shooting SASS. Having a smith reblend the barrel (perhaps even shorting by 1/8 inch or so) would blend the steel parts together. If he is concerned that the liner join line shows at the breech end, his concerns are probably making a mountain out of a molehill.

And I don't quite connect the desire for straight crisp lines on the octagon barrel with having had the barrel lined. All this tends to tell me that your friend is being pretty picky about an Italian reproduction that is going to get used fairly hard in shooting this game. His concerns and the concerns of most of the rest of cowboy shooters are not lining up well. He may end up disappointed that the guns we use are usually worn out in 10 years.

You still are not providing enough detail for us to figure out what you are trying to ask, I believe. Being this circumspect will not get a you an acccurate answer.

Best of luck, GJ

I think he is talking about the part of the barrel at the muzzle end that is rotated for loading. That is called a sleeve assembly. Whether or not it is made of a different steel than the main barrel I couldn't say.

I have a friend of mine that is looking for someone to reblue the barrel of his Henry rifle?

If you have any recommendations we would appreciate knowing who does excellent bluing.

As previously mentioned.... while I have several sources your location is not stated so it becomes a non-question.

I think he is talking about the part of the barrel at the muzzle end that is rotated for loading. That is called a sleeve assembly. Whether or not it is made of a different steel than the main barrel I couldn't say.

Oh, slapping head, sure, a Henry! And your friend is worried because the factory didn't get the loading sleeve blued to match the barrel? Or because some work has been done on the barrel?

Ummm, perhaps this is a situation of being a little too picky?

Anyway, sounds kinda like your friend needs to "speak for himself" and find the answer that best fits him. We may not be getting anywhere very fast working through a middleman. No offense intended, but if he is very picky about the gun, it's going to be hard for us OR you to satisfy him without a lot of detail.

Good luck, GJ

Wow. CAS matches are really hard on firearms. I tried to keep mine looking nice and gave up after the second match. Now, after 10 years of fun, my guns look like a drug em down a gravel driveway with a rope behind my pickup. :blush:

Hope your friend fairs better. -_-

Oh, slapping head, sure, a Henry! And your friend is worried because the factory didn't get the loading sleeve blued to match the barrel? Or because some work has been done on the barrel?

Ummm, perhaps this is a situation of being a little too picky?

Anyway, sounds kinda like your friend needs to "speak for himself" and find the answer that best fits him. We may not be getting anywhere very fast working through a middleman. No offense intended, but if he is very picky about the gun, it's going to be hard for us OR you to satisfy him without a lot of detail.

Good luck, GJ

:D Forgive me for smiling a lot. Yes he is very picky about his guns. No, anything we say is not going to change that. :D

He is not a member of SASS yet so I have to do the talking for him.

Someone mentioned the sleeve at the end of the barrel for reloading, that is what he is referring to.

He lives in the San Diego CA area. I think if you all could suggest some gunsmiths that have a good reputation for working on Henry rifles, he can then contact them and further define what his problem has been and find out if the gunsmith can help him. He is able to send the gun barrel to any part of the country so gunsmith location should not be a problem.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Thanks for your interest in helping us.

Archived