SASS Wire Forum

Why am I breaking '97 hook screws?

Currahee

Howdy,

Twice in the last month. Breaks right at the end of the threaded part. Gun keeps running, don't see it until I break it down for cleaning.

No problem to fix, but I wonder why. (Might be my lightning speed, dunno.) :lol:

Any help appreciated.

B.B.

I donno. Are they real Winchester 1897's or the Chinese imports? I have 6 Winchester 1897's and have never had one break in 25 years of shooting them. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Perhaps the hook screw has backed out far enough to contact the receiver when the slide is pushed back. A tall truck goin under a low bridge kind of deal. I've had jams because the hook screw backed out, I would magine the screw could be decapitated while running a 97 hard.

Just a thought.

Brimstone

Perhaps the hook screw has backed out far enough to contact the receiver when the slide is pushed back. A tall truck goin under a low bridge kind of deal. I've had jams because the hook screw backed out, I would magine the screw could be decapitated while running a 97 hard.

Just a thought.

Brimstone

You can screw them in too tightly and break them. So not loose, but not really tight.

Some of the replacement screws do not hold up as well.

You could consider trying a new slide hook to see if that could be the problem. Of course it could be the bolt isn't lining up with the hook properly.

Archived