SASS Wire Forum

1911 .45 troubles and

Chili Ron

Howdy,

For some time Ive been shootin cowboy time guns and not my 1911.

I bought it a while back and only lately realized that it is gettin up there in age.

For the first time in a long time I took it to the range and did some 1911 shooting.

It jammed a few times. I thought it might need a good cleaning. I did that and

took it back to the range and it jammed some more.

Well meaning experts said it was the magazine.

They fiddled with the Colt magazine and might have wrecked it??

I looked over the action and found the extractor was very worn.

After shopping a bit I bought a Wilson combat extractor and had it put in.

The 1911 still jammed some but now the emptys were out of the firing chamber.

Well meaning experts said it was the magazine and fiddled with them some more.

I got checking around and found that some folks recommend spring changes from time to time.

I ordered a set of Wilson springs and a wilson magazine.

One of the old springs, probably an original from the 70s, was rusted and broken.

The springs,a full set of six, went in and back to the range.

25 of 25 with no jam or problem of any kind.

My 1911 seems to be all better now, thanks.

And wouldnt you know, right next to me a fella was having the exact same jam as I had

back when I started all this.

And the range experts said it was the magazine..... hmmmm.

His 1911 was even older than mine so I told him what I did.

And now I told you.

If you are gettin out an oldie for wild bunch or just plinkin and it starts jammin

it just might need a fresh set of springs and or an extractor.

Or it might be the magazine.....

Best

CR

I had a Series 70 1911 that did exactly what yours was doing Chili.

Tried everything - springs, polished ramp, different ammo, different mags. Nothing worked. Disgusted, I sold it.

Come to find out 30+ years later Colt made a batch with bad extractors.

Think I paid $180 for it back then. No replacing it for that kind of money now.

CR -

Your own personal experience and troubleshooting effort is usually worth more than just the average range bystander's.

A GOOD 1911 gunsmith's experience is usually 10 times more valuable than your own personal experience, because he sees thousands a year, and you see, what, one or two?

With 1911s, it pays to try to break the complex interactions of how the gun is cycling into very small parts, and check each part of the cycle separately. If you are having problems ejecting the fired shell, the first thing to suspect is the extractor. Problems feeding - the magazine or the load. The well meaning suggestions were not that far off, but "ruining" a mag by trying to adjust the lips of the mag at the range is plain nuts. Take other folks advise, perhaps, but don't take other folks "free tuning."

A second 1911, that runs well, is ALWAYS a great resource when working on a 1911.

Try your mags in the good gun, try the mags from the good gun in yours.

Try your loads in the good gun, then try factory ball in yours.

Check spring pressure (recoil, mainspring) between good gun and your own.

Kuhnhausen's shop manual for the 1911 is a WONDERFUL resource if you want to get to where you can troubleshoot this gun with confidence. And if you don't have that confidence, you may find that a good smith is the fastest route to nirvana.

1911s are more complicated than they look; they are not just another cowboy revolver with slab sides. Springs are matched together and to the load you are planning to shoot. And all parts HAVE to work well together. Tinkering with one often means other parts or springs have to be checked and adjusted. Setting the gun up to factory standards, as Kuhnhausen's manual shows you how to do, is often a good route to take.

And starting this kind of thread in the Wild Bunch forum would get you lots more traction than posting it here.

Good luck, GJ

what ammo are you using? a 1911 is designed to shoot a 230 gr RN at 850fps. I have found that if I shoot the base line ammo---- then some or most problems go away. I suggest starting there.

In my book, any 1911 that won't shoot the majority of all good .45 auto ammo is still a stinker. Limiting that gun to just hardball is a GENUINE shame. It really is a fun gun at a power factor of about 165. Above that, lots of folks find they just don't want to shoot all that much. Hardball, of course, has a PF of 185 or higher.

Good luck, GJ

Another factor to look at when a1911 starts stove piping is the barrel link, remember that it alows the barrel to drop some to unlock,too much drop and the next round in the mag will knock the empty off the extractor and stove pipe. Just something else to look at. Links will wear out also.

With as vague as a description as you used to describe your "jam" problems it is difficult to call the problem. The advice you were given was correct but for different malfunctions.

Report back when your gun goes 500 for 500 trouble free rounds.

p.s. Good gun oil will keep the springs from rusting and a good grease on the frame rails will go a long way with keeping it ticking.

Yep

and Im using regular win white box, I also was trying out some lead reloads.

When a 45 jams on winchester ammo, I kinda doubt its the ammo.

My point is that if pards are gettin out old 1911s for whatever reason

they might have a problem or two due to the gun just sitting for years.

Im happy to have it running well again.

Put 500 rounds thru it? Who is payin fer all that?

I got cowboy guns that need shootin too.

Best

CR

Pard,

if you aren't reloading your own ammunition you aren't in the game. To say nothing of the money you save. :)

All of my semi-autos must shoot 500 of ball ammunition without a problem before I consider them relible and suitable for additional modification or carry if I choose to go that route. I didn't say you had to shoot 500 rounds at once. That is what gives you excuses to go to the range. :):)

The spring was the plunger spring.

I dont usually take a gun all apart for cleaning.

It seems some folks take 1911s apart all the time.

With todays magic cleaners I tend to spray out the crud

rather than take an action all apart and spend half the

day looking for tiny springs and parts.

I have a manual headed my way about recommended maintenance.

I will probably follow that.

My friend Chief AJ encourages spray cleaning not taking everything apart.

I have a couple Chief AJ guns that have never been apart and fired round

after round for year after year.

Best

CR

Archived