SASS Wire Forum

Question for our C&B Experts

Harvey Mushman

A query for our dedicated Darksiders, those who shoot cap & ball pistols: :ph34r:

I have a brace of Pietta '51 Navys (.36) and some spare cylinders for them. The '51 spare cylinders seem to fit in my Pietta '61 Navys, as well. I'm wondering if I can get the spares to do double duty in both?

Has anyone tried this swap (safely)? :)

Thanks in advance,

Harvey

PS: It would seem that Colt would also have taken advantage of the existing design and tooling when they went to the '61 design - with better metal, perhaps?

Yes, Piettas are made that way.

1851s & 1861s & 1862 "police" models all use the same frames & cylinders with different barrels that interchange.

Their Police model is really just a short-barreled '61.

The Colt police model was a small 5-shot handgun.

It is convenient for them as well as for us.

Get a few different barrels and you have a variety of different guns depending on who you want to be this weekend.

I have 7.5" '51 barrels, 7.5" '61 barrels, 5.5" sheriff barrels, & 3.5" snubby barrels for mine.

--Dawg

There is iron in the words of the Dawg! :lol:

There is iron in the words of the Dawg! :lol:

So true, so true.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Yee Haw! That's what I was hoping to hear!!! :excl:

Thanks for the help pards, I appreciate it! :)

One more odd question, same vein - my Pietta '58 Remmie Cylinder also seems to fit a Euroarms '58 Remmie 44? Anyone seen that combo?

Thanks,

Harvey

I don't really shoot Remmies, but I did notice that Preacher Clint has a euroarms conversion cylinder up for sale at a good price over on the classifieds.

Might wanna scarf it up.

--Dawg

I don't really shoot Remmies, but I did notice that Preacher Clint has a euroarms conversion cylinder up for sale at a good price over on the classifieds.

Might wanna scarf it up.

--Dawg

Thanks for the heads up Dawg. I saw that, but I think I'm going to keep my C&B family that way (caps & balls). Have a pair of RM Conversions from Taylors made that way - got them from a pard in our club - shoot nice!

I also seem to prefer the Colt clones (and real ones), but wanted to have a set of the Remmies to try out and have for another persona, occasionally. Couldn't pass up the price when I saw it. Also like the approach of loading spare cylinders and swapping between stages (capping at the LT, of course!).

Harvey

I want to disagree a bit here. I have several 1860 Piettas and the cylinders do not interchange well on some of the guns.

As a result, I am anal about making sure that cylinder #1 actually goes into gun #1.

My 2¢.

I want to disagree a bit here. I have several 1860 Piettas and the cylinders do not interchange well on some of the guns.

As a result, I am anal about making sure that cylinder #1 actually goes into gun #1.

My 2¢.

You should note that he did not say anything about the 1860. He was talking about the 1851,1861, and the 1862.

You should note that he did not say anything about the 1860. He was talking about the 1851,1861, and the 1862.

He was talking bout interchanging Pietta Cylinders. My response was to that point.

He was talking bout interchanging Pietta Cylinders. My response was to that point.

I have 6 Peitta Remington's and 30 cylinders they all interchange with no problem and never needed adjustment or fitting. I can load for an entire match before the match and then clean them in bulk in an automotive parts cleaner.

Archived