SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Questions

Gold Canyon Kid #43974

My son purchased a SINGLE TRIGGER Stoeger Coach Gun he intends to use as a back up shotgun to his SKB (he can't afford 2 SKBs). He got this almost new gun at a great price-and it is a good tool for him to learn how these guns function. He has done some excellent work on the almost new gun making it a breeze to open and shuck shells without effecting the functioning of the gun-plus disabling the auto safety-into manual safety. He has chamfered the chamber openings and the extractor slightly also and did a good job. He asked me some Stoeger questions I could not answer and could not find the answers in some of the gunsmithing web sites. Questions: what is the minimum he can cut off the barrels (currently mod and I/C) to make them open choke-or should he just purchase a reamer? Can he just cut off a quarter of an inch or so (of the new 20 inch barrels) so he doesn't have to drill and tap for a new bead? Is there an easy way to allow the Stoeger to open slightly wider. Comparing this gun to a couple Stoegers that my wife uses, the new gun does not open up quite as wide, making it slightly harder to load. He plans to put in new harder firing pins to avoid issues down stream and add a good recoil pad to make it fit identical to his SKB.

Can't answer your question about how much barrel to cut off...

I took my old Stoeger (when my wife started shooting it) to the Gun Store (also has a good gunsmith there)

where I bought it locally.. and had him open both barrels to improved cylinder

Had it done quite a few years back.. seems like I remember it costing about $15..

He already had the reamer and the knowledge...

I also can't answer your question on how to make them open up wider...

I've always thought about toying with mine to do that..

but I kinda figured.. If it works now... I don't need to mess with it...

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I ain't much help :blush:

but it will getcha a BTT :blush:

I know a lot of people will say I'm full of BS....well...sometimes I am....but all I did was replace the lever spring with one from Dillon.Longhunter also sells one,and it did let the barrels open up more;at least on mine it did.

GCK,

DO NOT shorten the barrels. As stated before, ream them both to I.C. . This is/has proven to me to be the best constriction for our game. The barrels can be made to open further very easily, HOWEVER, doing so without retiming the hinge will result in damage to the under barrel lug, and will seriously shorten the guns useful life. There are 3 or 4 known fine gunsmiths that can do this work. Gunslinger, Nate Kiowa Jones, Goatneck Clem, and Johnny Meadows. There probably are more, but these fellows know the work and how it's done.

As to that front sight, order a sight from Midway USA, part #917-464, $4.39 . .175 inch gold bead. Super easy to see and really helps in aquiring the target. Requires threading the hole, (6/48 thread), after removing the press fit original sight.

RBK

I would venture to say somethings amiss with the fore arm causing it to bind, maybe the fit of it. Try dry ends,apply magic marker, place forearm close then open check for rubbing.

Also height adjustment inside forearm.

Making the gun open wider is really quite simple, but hard to describe in writing. The work is done on the forend, not on the barrels. The easiest way to do this is find someone who has a slicked up gun and ask them if you can look at it. Take the forend off and look at it. You should be able to see where it's been ground or filed.

MTF

Archived