SASS Wire Forum

Video - Shooting Schofield Revolvers

Can anyone loan me a thumb as this one needs a three thumbs up! Really like it Mike, and since we are not limited here by tape time will you elaborate on the choice of revolvers statement? Not to be controversial but I do love the variety of opinions when it is fokes who know and understand guns and the western time frame.

Hey Mike

Another great video. I'm curious how many Black Powder rounds you can fire from your Schofield without it binding up. I can fire my New Model Number Three and my 44 Double Action all day with Black Powder because of the original S&W gas ring design.

DJ, using bp subs and standard smokeless bullets (no special lube) I can easily get six stages out of two of my three Uberti Schofields. From the common remarks on here it seems that every gun is a law unto itself, with a few fokes claiming they can actually use real bp in their Uberti versions. I have never tried real bp since I consider the self lube properties of substitutes as being the main key for me?

I love my Schofields. I do a lot of dry firing and I have had some repair issues, which is why I now have 4 of them. 2 main match guns and 2 for dry firing.

Tried real BP, against my better judgement, I let my brother talk me into it. One of them locked up tighter than a drum after, at the most 10 shots. Had to completely tear it apart.

Slowhand Bob,

If you're asking about the revolver I'd have chosen in the 1870s or 1880s if I could only choose one...I've shot just about every 19th century revolver in either replica, or original form, often both replicas and originals. They all have their problems...if they didn't, we wouldn't have 1911 and Glocks today. :D

But, given that, for it's time, I think the Colt SAA is the best of the lot. Thanks to it's grip, hammer and overall balance, it is faster on the first shot than any of its period competitors, including DA models. It handles black powder fouling as well or better than all of its competitors. The design is simple to understand and completely field strip using just a screwdriver. So the action can be thoroughly cleaned of black powder residue. It was available in all the popular cartridges of the day, and the .45 Colt proprietary cartridge was the best manstopper on the western frontier.

Since I can have as many SA guns as I want, and I'm not using any of them to defend my life, I have the luxury of shooting my Cartridge conversion in lots of matches, and to play with Remingtons or Schofields if the mood hits me. But even today, if I could have only one, it would be the Colt SAA.

Since i carry a couple of Schofields on occassion, I was intrigued with the holsters you showed. Went to the El Paso Saddlelry site but only found the Jesses James rig not the one that appeared to be tightly formed for the Schofield. What model holster was that?

Charlie,

I've had that holster forever. On the back it says "Schofield". So, if you called them and asked for the Schofield holster I think they can set you up. The main feautre of the holster is a squared off cut in the top strap area to accommodate the cylinder latch.

I don't know if El Paso Saddlery uses Will Ghormley's patterns. I guess it is possible, but it is definitely El Paso's holster...cartuche is plain as day on the front. On the back it just says "Made in Texas" and "Schofield"

Mike, you have long been my favorite writer for Guns of The Old West. I read your articles first. Great video.

Also a fan of Owen Wister's The Virginian. Now, there is no real reason for it, but I pictured the Virginian armed with a nickle plated Merwin Hulbert. I know the S&W makes more sense on many fronts, but somehow this was my interpretation.

Henry,

That's the beauty of books. You get to build your own picture in your mind.

I really appreciate the kind words about the magazine. Knowing there are people who like what I write makes it worthwhile.

Archived