SASS Wire Forum

"Guns of the World"

Old Scatterbrain

"Even the .44 magnum doesn't deliver as much punch." <_<

Certainly the Walker is no capgun, but- no, wait... actually, it is a capgun...

Anyway, my point is that it is normally compared to the .357 in terms of muzzle energy. I have never before heard it claimed to be more powerful than a .44 Magnum.

I have heard that before, that it was more powerful than the .44 Magnum, but I do not recall the source. I am not that familiar with the piece and certainly have never fired one. I would imagine that it was a real surprise when it was first brought into action down in Texas, I believe when a Texas

Ranger was under indian attack. Perhaps I confuse it with the Patterson. I do know that they are

a hand full and not designed for the timid and tiny.

Not to side track the thread, but my own personal preference for esthetics of the cap and ball

pistols, is the 1860 colt or the 1858 Remington. Neither of them however, are in the same class as the Walker as far as sheer power, but they will do the job I suppose.

Whoever wrote that didn't know what he was talking about.

A quick search shows that, per a Mike Venturino article, that a Walker with 60grs of FFFG Goex, will push a 148 gr round ball at a chronographed 1171 fps.

With my 10.5" Ruger Super Blackhawk, I have personally pushed a 200gr JHP, with a near max load of H110 at a chronographed 1770 fps. Which, as an aside, does one hell of job of taking a bowling pin off a table.

Edit for spelling

I heard the Walker being described as the most powerful hand gun of it's day. Maybe later on, after someone watched a Clint Eastwood movie they tied the .44 Magnum to the Walker, and it became "as powerful as a .44 Magnum". :rolleyes:

As much as I love my Walkers, I'm pretty sure even a .45Colt with an original max load will beat the Walker. Maybe not in kinetic energy, but sure as heck in momentum. That 250 grain bullet at very near, or a bit over 1000fps packs a pretty good punch.

Badger, we need to share a posse someday, so's you'll finally have a chance to shoot a Walker. :lol:

Archived