SASS Wire Forum

Selling Silver

Texas Red

To the Fire...

Have some spare silver...made all my bullets for next year....Who buys silver and how much can you expect to get??

How much money can you get by sellling your sivler coins and such???? Educate me and the Wire.......

Regards

Texas Red

To the Fire...

Have some spare silver...made all my bullets for next year....Who buys silver and how much can you expect to get??

How much money can you get by sellling your sivler coins and such???? Educate me and the Wire.......

Regards

Texas Red

A numismatic shop will usually buy it. Silver sells for around $39 an ounce right now.

Here is a website that will give you info on selling coins and the value of silver.

http://cointrackers.com/is-my-coin-silver.php

Cordially yours, Mild Will

It is a good time to get rid of silver and gold. Gold is up $53 today and closed at $1718 (pretty much all time high) Silver is at about $39

That is the good news. Now here is the bad news. These folks that advertise to buy your gold and silver will be only giving you about .30-.40 cents on the dollar.

Silver coins are mostly 90% silver. (dimes and quarters from 1965-67 are 40% silver) Then you have the collector and investor value of a coin. And the condition of the coin also makes a difference. Go to the bookstore and get a couple of magazines (CoinAge and CoinValues are good) you can see how it shapes up. For instance, an 1895-O Morgan dollar is worth from $100 (good cond. which isn't very good, you can almost read the date) to $2000 in BU (brilliant uncirculated) the 1896 Morgan dollar is only worth $40-100 in the BU condition...The CC mint marks are all golden values (Carson City) I have a 1893cc that you can hardly read the date and it is worth $300

Now, where to sell the coins. You can start and offer some of them on the SASS wire. We like old silver. You can try ebuy but it is a hard market and right now 40% of all coins sold on there is fake..be ready to have some folks argue with you. Your next choice is pawn shops and recyclers. There you will get some percent of melt value usually a bit more than the "Gold Guys" I already mentioned. Your best bet in selling off the coins is the actual coin dealers. Ask around or look in the phone book. Find a dealer that is associated with the coin orginazitons. You will still get less than the listed value but more than the other guys. (I recently sold some gold eagles. Gold was valued at $3k and I got about $2600.

Sorry this is so long but there is a lot to learn, and I don't want you to get cheated out of what ya have. Get a couple of magazines that have price guides and start looking at your coins and get an idea..then start selling.(if you have any Morgan Silver dollars (1878-1921) let me know I might be interested.

good luck and hope you make a pile of money

curley

TR,

I just recently sold some silver to a coin store that is also a bullion dealer. For the silver bullion I got spot minus .50 cents per ounce. The silver coins (an assortment of 90% silver) fetched me 24 times face value. Your mileage may yary based on the current spot price.

Good Luck.

Guest jeweler jim

+1 for the http://www.coinflation.com/

That being said and the fact that I do this for a living you have realize that the standard is usually 10% on both sides of the deal. If you can buy or sell at 5% you're doing well. So if'n you buy at ten over and then sell at ten under you need a twenty percent move just to break even. Unless it's .999 or large amounts we try to buy the smaller amounts of circulated pre 64' stuff at 85% of spot.

With the current insanity it will take five to ten years to know where the collector value will end up and that's five to ten years after the dust settles. No one knows how much is being melted and I'm guessing A LOT. We don't really want the collector stuff as we buy and sell (primarily gold) metal and flip it every five to seven days melting everything at the refiners.

I believe the old Chinese curse is, "May you live in interesting times." That is what we have just started or entered into. Scraping the metals and the worst to the best...

"Gold Parties"

Hotel Events

Pawn Shops

"Cash for Gold" (operations that have opened up in vacant store fronts)

Coin Dealers

Family owned jewelry stores

The family owned jewelry store and the coin dealer were here before things went off the tracks. They have always bought precious metals and will be hear after all the other "johnny come lately" have moved on. Not to say that you could not be taken advantage of in a jewelry store or coin dealer, but if they want your business after the economy comes back they will have to treat you right so you will remember and return when you're able to spend or buy again.

Just the view from my side of the jewelry case.

It is a good time to get rid of silver and gold. Gold is up $53 today and closed at $1718 (pretty much all time high) Silver is at about $39

You have a interesting viewpoint. Why and what do you base your opinion that now is a good time to get rid of silver and gold?

All of the information I have read recently is forecasting continued economic downturn and devaluation of the dollar. Please explain why investing in paper is a better investment than metal.

You have a interesting viewpoint. Why and what do you base your opinion that now is a good time to get rid of silver and gold?

All of the information I have read recently is forecasting contined economic downturn and devaluation of the dollar. Please explain why investing in paper is a better investment than metal.

I concur. I figure it is a good time to hold gold and silver.

I have considerable of both and am certainly not going to sell any of it.

And . . . I'm considering buying more gold and am currently watching what happens to it in the next 10 days before deciding what to do with this years long term saving money.

All of the information I have read recently is forecasting continued economic downturn and devaluation of the dollar. Please explain why investing in paper is a better investment than metal.

The person expressed an interest in selling some. It is better to sell it now than 2, 4 or 5 years ago. There are many folks that can not afford to keep, let alone buying more. A lot of folks are just trying to get from day to day. They will get something for their material. Of course, I plan to keep mine, and even try to add (however some folks think that the gold is a bubble and long over due to burst)

I don't think any one really knows what is gonna happen these days.

It is a crap shoot, and if you bought silver at $4 and oz and gold mostly at $700 an oz (like I did) well maybe ya got some profit..

curley

Hi, I think the most accurate way to get an idea of what your coins are worth is to go to Ebay and see what coins/silver/bullion like yours are actually selling for. You can see what people are actually paying for the coins as opposed to what people are asking or think their item might be worth. Generally, the best prices are on ebay. If you go to coin/bullion sellers like APMEX there is alot of over head in their prices. For example, the prices for Morgan silver dollars on APMEX are higher than on Ebay plus they charge for credit cards. After Obama was elected the cheapest selling price of a Morgan silver dollar on Ebay was around $16. Three days ago I checked Ebay and the cheapest Morgan silver dollar you could buy was $36...and that is what they were selling for...you can search for Morgan silver dollar and click on "past auctions" and see prices realized. I like silver dollars because they derive their value from three different sources. First, they are still legal tender and will always be worth a minimum of $1. Second, they are 90% silver...as of today, the melt value of a Morgan silver dollar is $30 (as per coinflation.com) Finally, there is their numismatic, or collectors value. Some are worth far more to a coin collector than their melt value. Morgan silver dollars ...selling for $36...derive a slightly higher value due to their collectability. By this I mean the Morgan silver dollar generally sells for more than the "Peace" dollar even though they have the same silver content and melt value.

Archived