SASS Wire Forum

.32 H&R/Magnum Ruger Single SIx/Baby Vaquero

Alvin Fog

Does anyone know how the Baby Vaqueros feel, and are they a good feel for someone with a smaller than average hand? I Joined as a Life Member in 95 and was active until I returned to sea duty, but since leaving the Navy and moving to a new area in '99, and not being able to get a good response from the affiliate club in my area, I eventually sold all of my CAS guns. Well here we are 12 years later and I'm going to get back in with or without response. What I owned before were .45 Colt Vaqueros and I thought they felt great, now there is a New Vaquero that is smaller? Granted they were a little large for me to effectively perform single handed cocking, but then again there was no Gunfighter category at that time. I guess my main question is, is the New Vaquero comparable to the feel of the Baby Vaquero?

AF, TR

If I am wrong someone will chime in to correct me. I recently purchased a set of New Model Vaquero grip frames for my New Model Single Sixes and this would tell me that they are the same. I think the old models used a small grip frame but perhaps not now?

I have a pair

really like them for duelist or gunfighter

try sum if you get a chance, if you were round these parts I wood let ya try mine

you need smaller holsters for a good fit

just keep that in mind

My wife shoots Ruger .32 H&R Magnum Single Six.... but are not the new model. They are birds head grips and she took the Ruger grips off and put on Eagle gunfighter grips, which thinned down the whole grip. She has been shooting these for 5 years or so....

Although many things in life can be done over the Internet, for example shopping for food, clothes and cars, meeting a girlfriend, paying bills and even work, some things are best done physically such as choosing a gun.

Although many things in life can be done over the Internet, for example shopping for food, clothes and cars, meeting a girlfriend, paying bills and even work, some things are best done physically such as choosing a gun.

SS #16162,

I have been shooting for about 36 years, I know how to choose a gun. I was asking this specific question becuase I am unable to find the specific model I am talking about in my area. If I could, I would go handle and maybe shoot it. Thanks for being a lazy-eyed waggle for me.

AF, TR

I have a pair

really like them for duelist or gunfighter

try sum if you get a chance, if you were round these parts I wood let ya try mine

you need smaller holsters for a good fit

just keep that in mind

Madd Mike,

The fact that you say you like them for duelist or gunfighter is what makes me want to try them. The problem is, I don't know of anyone in my area that has the Baby Vaquero and I'm not sure they are the same as the regular Single Six. If you're the same Madd Mike from the CC, I'd love to be in NM. I figured I'd need smaller holsters, and I know there aren't many makers out there for the .32, but I would make my own anyway.

AF, TR

If I am wrong someone will chime in to correct me. I recently purchased a set of New Model Vaquero grip frames for my New Model Single Sixes and this would tell me that they are the same. I think the old models used a small grip frame but perhaps not now?

Slowhand Bob,

It's not really the grip that I'm worried about, it's the distance from the grip to the hammer that I'm concerned with. I'm sure it is significantly different when you compare the original model Vaqueros in .45 Colt and .32 Baby Vaqueros.

Send me some info on the local club please.

AF, TR

My wife shoots Ruger .32 H&R Magnum Single Six.... but are not the new model. They are birds head grips and she took the Ruger grips off and put on Eagle gunfighter grips, which thinned down the whole grip. She has been shooting these for 5 years or so....

Okie,

How does your wife perform with them and what category does she shoot? Does she like them?

AF, TR

The grip to hammer distance should feel alittle better but maybe not because of a shorter distance to reach the hammer but rather the better feel of the shorter grip frame.

You're asking yourself; 'how does Widder assume this?"

Well, I've taken two pairs of my original Vaqueros, one set in .357 and the other in .45 Colt, and I've converted both sets to using the 'Vaquerito' style grip frame.

This particular grip frame is about 1/4" shorter in its gripping length than other Vaqueros.

Now that being said, I have no idea as to how they will compare to the New Vaq. because I don't have any of the new style.

But as a Gunfighter, I love the feel of the Vaquerito size.

I call them Vaquerito because I saw a Ruger advertisement in my Gun store about 2-3 years back that used that name.

Hope this info helps.

..........Widder

The grip to hammer distance should feel alittle better but maybe not because of a shorter distance to reach the hammer but rather the better feel of the shorter grip frame.

You're asking yourself; 'how does Widder assume this?"

Well, I've taken two pairs of my original Vaqueros, one set in .357 and the other in .45 Colt, and I've converted both sets to using the 'Vaquerito' style grip frame.

This particular grip frame is about 1/4" shorter in its gripping length than other Vaqueros.

Now that being said, I have no idea as to how they will compare to the New Vaq. because I don't have any of the new style.

But as a Gunfighter, I love the feel of the Vaquerito size.

I call them Vaquerito because I saw a Ruger advertisement in my Gun store about 2-3 years back that used that name.

Hope this info helps.

..........Widder

Widder,

That is exactly the answer I was looking for, and it is what I was hoping for from the smaller frame. Thank you so much.

AF, TR

They don't make the Single Six in .32 Mag anymore, so your search will be in the used gun market. The Single Six had three grip frames. Early ones had the same grip frame as the full size "Old" Vaquero. Then they changed to a 1/4" shorter grip and then added the Birds Head to the line. The full size grip frame models are scarce, so most of what you will find are the short grip and birds head. The New Vaquero grip has a slightly different contour than the old version and is slightly thinner. The standard grip panels on the New Vaquero are also more like the "gunfighter" grips that the old ones. The only real way to tell what "feels" right to you is to try the various models with the various grip panels. What is turning out to be a nice combination is the New Vaquero with the Montado or Super Blackhawk hammers. Works well for people with smaller hands. Comfortable grip and a reduced reach to the hammer.

P.S. Slowhand Bob, you can put New Vaquero grip frames on the old style guns. However to put the old style grip frames (like a birds head) on a New Vaquero, you have to mill off the ears at the top of the grip frame and put a clearance slot for the tail of the free spin pawl in the grip frame.

Does anyone know how the Baby Vaqueros feel, and are they a good feel for someone with a smaller than average hand? I Joined as a Life Member in 95 and was active until I returned to sea duty, but since leaving the Navy and moving to a new area in '99, and not being able to get a good response from the affiliate club in my area, I eventually sold all of my CAS guns. Well here we are 12 years later and I'm going to get back in with or without response. What I owned before were .45 Colt Vaqueros and I thought they felt great, now there is a New Vaquero that is smaller? Granted they were a little large for me to effectively perform single handed cocking, but then again there was no Gunfighter category at that time. I guess my main question is, is the New Vaquero comparable to the feel of the Baby Vaquero?

AF, TR

Those birds head grips on the Ruger 32 mags feel good, real good. Those little rascals are fast too.

Spittoon

This will link you to most of the information http://givhansferry.homestead.com/ and links to other area clubs can be found here http://www.carolinacowboys.us/south_carolina_cowboys.htm . In Charleston we shoot on the forth Saturday each month. If I can help you with any other information just let me know. I do have a pretty nice competition style pattern for the Single Six you might like, beyond that you will usually notice that Colt Navy patterns adapt well to the the smaller frame Ruger. Hope to see you at the next match.

Archived