SASS Wire Forum

Oh No! Not another holster question?

The Incognito Bandito

Yeah, I thought that would get ya. Anyway, Being a fresh fish and all, I've seen the COWS brand holsters and belts advertised at the Sportsmans Guide and was curious as what the overall quality is. And hey, if they are the Official holsters of the NRA, they can't be that bad, can they?

I realize the quality is not that of Kirkpatrick or El Paso and the like, but still, what is the general opinion of their products?

Gregg

Yeah, I thought that would get ya. Anyway, Being a fresh fish and all, I've seen the COWS brand holsters and belts advertised at the Sportsmans Guide and was curious as what the overall quality is. And hey, if they are the Official holsters of the NRA, they can't be that bad, can they?

I realize the quality is not that of Kirkpatrick or El Paso and the like, but still, what is the general opinion of their products?

Gregg

I know that the Kirkpatrick Longhunters are expensive; however, they are the best functioning holsters I have seen and they will last a lifetime. If the expence is too great, maybe you can find a used pair.

I bought some COWS holsters and a belt as back-up equipment because they have hammer thongs required by my local reenactment group. They are well made, reasonably authentic, and the price is favorable. My first preference for daily use are my excellent holsters from Old West Reproductions. I also have some El Paso Saddlery leather which is also well made. If you like 'em, buy 'em.

Happy trails, Squint

Quality is okay. They're not the high end of the scale but there are many worse made rigs on the market.

What UB said. I have the huckleberry rig from COWS and have been very happy with it.

thanks for the advice everyone! trying to choose my leather is proving to be more difficult than when i was choosing my sidearms and rifle, and that was mentally exhausting, esp for me, lol. there are SO many good middle of the road leather makers out there, its tough choosing, so just trying to get as much advice as possible before truly commiting. or get commited. whichever comes first! huzzah!

Problem with the leather is that, even after the money and quality are right, there are so many styles/types of rigs to choose from. Often it is not about the guys name who makes a rig as much as it is about what you want and is that his niche. As you study the many makers it will often seem that their products tend to fall into a general pattern, historically styled, competitive, artistic, etc and this leaves the big question, what do you want out of your SASS range experience? If I were a top competitive shooter I would be looking hard at fokes like Mernickle, Kirkpatrick, Old Tom, etc, while if best dress cowboy was my goal then I would wear the finest leather art available and be checking out Wild Rose or Purdy Gear. COWS might make a decent, low priced, historically correct, cowboy style rig but would that be right for the pard who plans to get on the fast track for a state title? You are making a mistake if you shop for leather, or makers, without knowing what you want out of your SASS experience first. There are lotsa good one man shows that can give good bang for the buck and I always like to recommend that shooters go straight to the horses mouth, the leather boards over at CAS City. http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html

Archived