SASS Wire Forum

1887 Winchester modification

Tom Bullweed

I have an original Winchester 1887 that has limited collector value (barrel cut to 28", several screws replaced. I shoot it occasionally with BP-sub and 3/4-oz loads. It is a great gun that I would like to shoot more.

Several cowboys have mentioned a tab that could be welded to the carrier that would enable the drop-two process and speed up relaoding. I do not want to weld anything on the gun but would rather drill and tap a hole where the tab could be added or removed easily.

Can any cowboy or cowboy gunsmith send me a photo of the tab that seems to get this done?

You aren't going to do it by drilling and tapping a hole as the material where the tab goes isn't thick enough. Also, a recess has to be milled in the top of the lever for the tab to sit in when the gun is in battery. The other way to do a drop two on an original is to ramp the back of the barrel and do a couple of other mods. In either case, you aren't going to do it without modifying your gun.

I believe that the "add a tab" mod is considered an external modification. And therefore illegal.

Welding inside is a legal mod.

The tab is inside the gun and is legal. The external "screw mod" has been found to be illegal.

Tom - couple of local options for you. I have an 87 repo with the drop two mod. Also Royal Barnes has an original that I am pretty sure has the drop two mod. Just need to catch you at a local match ...

I have an original Winchester 1887 that has limited collector value (barrel cut to 28", several screws replaced. I shoot it occasionally with BP-sub and 3/4-oz loads. It is a great gun that I would like to shoot more.

Several cowboys have mentioned a tab that could be welded to the carrier that would enable the drop-two process and speed up relaoding. I do not want to weld anything on the gun but would rather drill and tap a hole where the tab could be added or removed easily.

Can any cowboy or cowboy gunsmith send me a photo of the tab that seems to get this done?

Whoa!!!If you are concerned about your"limited collector value".....You would leave it alone.make it work for you by doing alot to it or leave it alone ...no half way..once they have been butched that's what ya got....make it a gun you want to shoot and shoot it........Tuco.

For what you'd spend on getting the work done, and the loss in resale value (admittedly already low), I suspect you'd be about as well off getting a new-made '87.

Archived