SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1873, .45ACP?

Tomboy

Just call it a .45 Schofield Rimless......

AJ, Dillon used to sell dies that sized .45 acp cases slightly smaller that necessary so that the bullet actually bulged the case down to the base of the bullet. That approach would solve the problem of bullets backing into the case. (I wish I could do that with 32-20)

I would visualize a sleeve chambered for 45 acp with the proper extractor and cartridge guide cuts in the sleeve. This would be secured in the barrel with set screws. You could have another sleeve chambered for 45 Colt along with a 45 Colt bolt and lifter.

I'm not saying this would be practical, but a lot of things we play with aren't practical!

I know of a gunsmith who is capable of the sleeving,I am shooting two rifles he did the chambers on. Adios Sgt. Jake

There, fixed that for ya.[quote name=Sebec Ranger' timestamp='1307881553'

post='2205691]LETS STICK WITH THE GUNS OF THE OLD

WEST>REMEMBER WE ARE COWBOYS AND COWGIRLS

That lets in a lot of guns that are currently not allowed. Need I really remind you that the dicussion is about a cartridge?

This conversion would not be that difficult. You would need the 45 CS carrier, a 357m bolt opened up to except the 45 acp case head, reline the barrel then chamber for the 45acp but only deep enough to maintain the headspace to the 357m bolt. This allows the rebated case head of the acp to be exposed enough for the extractor to grab it.

The only question then would be ejection. That is the weakest part of the toggle link guns. The carrier may require some mods like move the ejecting cutout forward some.

The better option would be to start with the Marlin action, though.

As some have mentioned there were 92’s converted to 45acp but they didn’t work well. Unlike the marlin and the toggle guns the 92 requires a rimmed cart. to work properly through the cart guides. If you run it fast it throws out live carts with the empties.

This conversion would not be that difficult. You would need the 45 CS carrier, a 357m bolt opened up to except the 45 acp case head, reline the barrel then chamber for the 45acp but only deep enough to maintain the headspace to the 357m bolt. This allows the rebated case head of the acp to be exposed enough for the extractor to grab it.

The only question then would be ejection. That is the weakest part of the toggle link guns. The carrier may require some mods like move the ejecting cutout forward some.

The better option would be to start with the Marlin action, though.

As some have mentioned there were 92’s converted to 45acp but they didn’t work well. Unlike the marlin and the toggle guns the 92 requires a rimmed cart. to work properly through the cart guides. If you run it fast it throws out live carts with the empties.

Archived