SASS Wire Forum

3 Amegois

Something just didn't seem right with Tom Anderson, I thought. I just couldn't put my finger on it .....yet.

I rode on, tracting and knowing where Grizz would set up camp for the night. Grizz knew this country better than me, but I could tract a man or animal where there was no tracks to be seen for a white man. The army was on the move again. I'd heard rumors of an Indian Confederatcy up in Grizz'es neck of the woods and that rumor had the army all wound up.

I tracted Hayes to Rocky Ford and waited for the others to caught up. I set up camp just outside of town....close enough that I could see the lights and smell the wood smoke and the gun smoke of the sherriff doing his job or some one practing their aim.

Whiskey, Taft and Grizz rode in just before sundown, and I gave Grizz a briefing on what I'd learned. "Captin' trail's gone cold. Lost him bout here. Der's a stage what comes through here twice a week. Think dat driver can be bribed, I think I say. And den der's dis fer ya" I said as I handed him the paper. It was nother telegraph which read, "Captin' Grizz STOP. Man yur party looking for in town STOP Come fast STOP Tom Anderson" Grizz read it and looked like he didn't belevie it. "I dont ether" I said. A young boy rode up here, grinin' to bet da bandand told me to hand dis to ya". He knew whar our camp was so I moved to here as soon as da boy left. Lawdy...gittin old. Gotta git dis Hayes so's I can......" So's you can do what Hawk ?" Whiskey said.

Grizz muttered somethin' and stopped un-saddleing his horse and looked at me with concern in his eyes. "Did you git dat feeling Tom was telling us what some one told him to say ?" I nodded yes. "Taft, throw me and Hawk a box of shells each. You both stay here. Keep watch. We're going into town for a look see. Be back in 2 hours."

As we rode in Rocky Ford, I watch Grizz foundle his pocket with the badge in it. "Burnin' a hole, aint it ?" I asked without looking at him. "Hawk, I swear, If yo call me Captin' once more..." Grizz was truning red. "You'll do what ?" I asked as I reined up Hawkeye. "You won't shoot me Grizz. We've been thought too much together.....sides, you need me now." I said with a smile. Dthat smile was quickly removed when Grizz replyed, "No, but I damn sure maime you !"

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two hours! What were we supposed to do, play mumbly peg? Needed to find a place where we could get to the coach away from town eyes. If there was a woman on the coach, maybe buy a dress off her seein as I didn't bring one along. Not like I could just sashay into a seamstress without anyone noticin. Then take the coach into town and find out about Jeb.

We found a good spot, bend in the road. Taft and I had to be careful not to act like outlaws and get hit up by a scatter gun. We left our horses in the trees, tried to look like we had been set upon and needed help. It worked seeing as we didn't get shot. And the driver indeed could be bribed. There was a woman on the stage close to my size, was more than happy to help after we told our story. Only thing, wasn't what I expected. Not at all. Taft tried not to laugh.

Grizz tried hard to remember what he could about Rocky Ford, he hadn't been there in a while, too hot and barren for his taste, though there was good farm country around, strange mix of land. Bob Tugwart had been the sheriff last he knew. Ol' Tug was a good man.

When they got to town Grizz happened to spot Tug going into the general store. Grizz and Hawk tied up out front and went in after him. Tug was at the back of the store smelling cigars, he'd take one out of a jar, smell it, and put it back in, then do the same with one from the next jar.

Grizz moved quietly up behind him ... "Tug, you gonna buy them or just wipe yer nose on 'em?" Tug stopped in his tracks, and slowly put the cigar he was holding back in the jar. "Well Grizz, I reckon I'll just wipe my nose on 'em and laugh when I watch you smoke 'em" He turned around and gave Grizz a hearty handshake and clap on the back.

"We need to talk to you in private" Grizz hold him motioning to Hawk. Tug led them to a back room. Grizz and Hawk laid out what they knew about Hayes, Tug had heard of him, but hadn't seen him in that part of the state. "Well he's coming if he ain't already here" Hawk told him, "might have toned down his actions to blend in, but sure as the sun come up tomorrow, he'll git back to killin in no time."

Tug thought long and hard. "Grizz, I know you ain't no marshal no more, I just can't have ya huntin in town, no matter how bad that feller is. Ol judge Brooker has a burr up his saddle and is making it hang near impossible to do my job as it is.

Hawk's eyes flared and face got red. Grizz cut him off before he could speak with a big hand held up in front of him. "Tug, I reckon so, but I'll have to insist." With that comment Grizz pulled out the Marshal's badge and letter from the district judge in Denver and laid them on the barrel in front of them. Tug read the letter before speaking, "well I reckon you do as you please then, what about the rest in your party?" "Just consider them my duely sworn posse."

Tug wanted to take them over and brief Judge Brooker, but Grizz talked him out of it, the fewer folks that knew who Grizz and his party were the better, and some high and mighty judge trying to prove how tough he was would just get people killed.

Tug spent the next few minutes laying out the town as drawn in the dust on the top of a crate, they now knew where each Saloon, brothel, alley way, and blind spot was located.

Grizz tucked the letter and badge back inside his vest "nobody needs to know about this for now" he said, Tug nodded he understood.

"Grizz, da rest of da posse will be gittin' here bout now. We should head toward livery to meet'em." I said. Yup, yur right Hawk. Tug, can you book us four rooms in the local hotel ?" Grizz asked.

"I'll be happy to do that, but I don't think young Sattan will cotton to giving a breed a room." I looked up as quickly as I had headed for the door. "And just way is dat Tug?" I demanded as I marched back toward him. Grizz put his big hand in my way and said, "Now Hawk....."

"Now Hawk nothing Grizz ! I'm damn tied of bein' pushisned fer not bein' white and not bein red ! Aint my fault dat I'm nether !!" Grizz let me have my rein...to a point with Tug. He knew I was havin a very hard time with being a breed. "Sorry bout dat Tug...Just needed to blow off some steam, dat's all. Meant no offence. " I said and stuck my hand out. Tug took it and replyed "None taken Hawk."

As me and Grizz walked toward the door, I asked Tug, "You know a feller goes by dat name of Tom Anderson ?" "Yup, he's got a small ranch outside of town...stage stops thier to pick up his mail. Good man too....why ?" "No reason Tug" Grizz said as we walked out the door and toward livery.

"Hawk...though you where going to go high order on ole Tug there for a minute." I smiled, nowing that Grizz watch watching my movements closer now. "What wood you've done ifin' I had ?" I asked Grizz, looking toward livery and sareching for Whiskey and Taft. "Well..let's just say I would have done what needed doning at the time." I smiled and lead Hawkeye toward livery and smiled. "Thanks Grizz." Grizz just grunted and nodded.

As we neared livery, my skin began to crawl...just like when Hayes or his men where nearby. I stopped Grizz with my arm, made a sign with two fingers....one I pointed up to the loft.....the other I pointed to inside livery. I made a walking sign with my index and middle fingers and then a cut throat sign with my other finger cross my throat. Grizz nodded yes. I made sign for him to go round to the side door of the stable. He nodded yes and moved at the same time.

Time seemed to fly for me. Some how, I was up in the loft, found out this was one of Hayes men, and sent him to hell... in short order. Grizz came walking into livery and made out as if he was putting up his horse. That's when Taft and Whiskey came in."Lawdy...that was a long, dry ride. Where's the saloon ?" Whiskey asked and there seen Grizz. "Right down the street....on the left Mister." Whiskey looked confused but figured that some one was there, but Taft laughed. "She may shoot, ride and cuss like a man, but she shore as hell aint no Mister !"

And that's when Grizz drew his Colt. "United States Marshall Grizzy Dave.....Show you're self...who's there ?"

Through the silence you could hear the death rattle as the man in the rafters let loose his final breath. The figure in the shadows hadn't moved.

Grizz was hot, tired, and hungry and more than a bit grouchy. He needed a bath, some food and some whiskey, not necessarily in that order. And his patience was gone.

"Speak up varmint or I'll have Hawk come down and gut you alive and feed you your own still beating heart."

There was a gasp and the unmistakable smell that who ever was hiding in the shadows had lost control of their bodily functions.

The figure moved forward into the sun light and presented his face. It was old....weather beaten as if that face had seen a thousand miles of traliers and snow falls. His eyes where brown and darted about like razors. "God Shake don't shoot me !" the old man cryed out, his voice shaking. "We aint gonna shoot you....come out in the daylight a little father!" Grizz commanded. He stopped, looked behind him, let good with a deep sign and stepped out into the sun more. "Name's Bexter.....Glenn Bexter ! Dis here's my livery. Built it wif meown two hands, I did! Now what can I do fer you folk ? Put dem hosses away, I pect !"

"Lawdy...Mr Baxter, what did you step in sir ? You smell purty rank !" Whiskey said, wiping away the burning tears the old man had caused. "I aint steped in a thin' Missy !" Well, what'll it be folks ?" he said as he went to digging in the backside of his bibbed coveralls. I walked out of the connor of the livery and said, "No charge fer these men nor da Lady." I watched as evryone there eyed me. "Dis here sweet smellin' feller is Mr Glenn Ford Baxter, da 3rd ! My Sargent Major, 1st Calvery of Tejas !

"Gentleman and Lady, would may I be of asistance ?" in as educated southern as a man could speak. I looked at my friends and all had that look of amazement on their faces. "Come on now, one must not doddle !" he said. "Col. Hawk here is the bravest and most honset man alive. He has pulled my backside out of yankee fire and a yankee prison camp before. I own him my life."

Grizz was the 1st one to speak up. "Can you.....I mean.....Will you look after our horses. Feed'em good too. They'vecome a long way without much feed. But keep the bridles and saddles close by. Never know when we might have to high it out of here." Grizz requested. Centanily sir....Any thing else ?" "Why hell yes there is.....Why on God's green earth do you walk around smelling like fresh cowpies ?" Grizz asked with his hands on his hips. "To hide in plain sight....just as Col Hawk taught me !" As he was walking off into the sunlight, flies swarming round his backside his said, "Dat'll be $5.00 fer da lot of ya !" And he looked at me and winked as he walked away.

"Where, how and why Hawk" Taft asked as I looked for a place to sit. But there was fresh hay all round him. Mr Baxter knew we where coming. " I met him in da War of Southern Independence, dat answers da whar. As to how, we rode long side together, I taught him the Apache Ways and I fought long side him in the war. And as fer as da why goes, guess he figures he ouws me somethin' or nother fer pullin' his hide out of dat prsion camp near Chi-ca-go or somethin' like dat. He's a damn good man, der Taft. Y'all do well da listen to him when he speaks. Now come on folks...Whiskey I do beleve it is yur time to stand da men folk here a round !!! "

Grizz realized he still had his colt out and holstered it as he moved to block the door.

"Now let's just think this thru a bit first." He pointed to the dead man in the loft, "they know we're here, or at the least they were expecting us. I don't know about you folks but I'd sure like to get some food and some whiskey before we git into it with these fellers."

Taft and Whiskey agreed, but Hawk was more of a mind to just march down to the Saloon and take all comers as they came.

In the end it was decided that Whiskey would don her frilly dress and bonnet and fetch back some vittles and Baxter would bring back a couple of bottles. Baxter had a shack of a house just in the woods behind the livery where they could rest for a spell, eat some grub and drink some whiskey. It wasn't much of a house, but it was surprisingly clean. It also offered a good view of the alley and any possible lane of attack, should one come.

Whiskey went into a back room and changed, when she came out all the men whistled. She blushed, and pulled a colt from behind her apron "you boys behave or I'll shoot cha my own self."

I was standing before a priest last time I was this gussied up. Not that I really had anything against a dress, just wasn't easy gettin anything done in these long skirts. I was hoping for plainer attire, but this one had yards of lace, ruffles. The lady on the coach, Mrs. Lillian Coulter, was certainly a lady of fashion.

Knowin the amount of food it takes to satisfy this crowd, I had Mr. Baxter hitch up a curricle for me. Also, it wasn’t all that easy walkin in these shoes. They looked real pretty, and that’s all they were good for, lookin at.

The café was packed. Most of the tables were taken by townspeople and several cowboys along with a couple rough types were at the counter. Was real tired of camp food by now and I was hankerin for some good home cookin. Saw a big pot of chicken and catshead dumplings simmerin on the stove. Bought that, pot and all. The cook wrapped it in a towel for me and brought it out to my buggy. Couldn’t pass up that pecan pie either.

Just one more stop and I was on my way back.

Frilly Dress

I sat by the door, and I looked for angles of attack. "Uhhh...da frontal attack is out. Too open !" I looked to the right and saw some catus, pricky pear, some rocks and a few trees. "Ifin dey come from here, dey can move round and git us from behind." I looked to the left, lite a ceegar and saw a small creek, sawmill, and a fishing hole, juding by the boys fishing in it and dry grass. "Well, ifin dey come at us fer der, crossin' dat creek will be easy pickins fer us. But ifin dey make it to da sawmill, dey'll had a di-rect line of fire into dis window. And dat just won't do. And ifin der happens to be childerns fishin' den dat's a whole over ball of ear wax !"

Grizz walked over to me and said, "What'd do ya think Hawk? Think Hayes is here or no ?" I took a long draw from my ceegar and said, "Nope, he aint here. Be more garuds here and in da streets ifin he was. But he'll be here, no doubt. I'm worryed bout our left flank Grizz. Ifin dey come at us fer der, and dey will at some point, I think dey'll git what day want. And more so ifin dey come through the back, which is da front."

"Taft, what cha thinkin?" Grizz asked as he walked toward him. "Thinkin how I can get at them boys, specally the ones what stole my family, without gettin' us killed at the same time !" "And what cha come up with ?" Grizz asked. "Not much. I just know that no man is gonna make it in here from the right. Is Whiskey back yet ? I need some grub !!"

Grizz walked out the back door and surveyed his sroundings. They where damned if they do, and damned if they don't. "Ether way it goes, it will stop here..." and drew a line in the dirt with his boot. "Right here!" And with that , it was settled.....he would and his friends woould fight it out with Hayes here. So he reached into his vest pocket and pulled out his marshal badge. Rubbing it on his vest said out load, "Recon you've hide nuff !"

Whiskey came back with the food and Baxter with a couple of bottles. They all commenced to eating and nary a word was spoke for a while.

After she finished her plateful, Whiskey spoke up "Grizz, you got cher badge pinned on, you 'spectin to need it soon?"

"mm hmmm" Grizz grunted as he ate the bread he'd used to sop up the last bit of gravy from his second plateful. "Reminds me, you are all now sworn to uphold the law and are now deputized."

Whiskey shrugged her shoulders as if say 'sure, whatever' but Hawk and Taft eyed each other, and then Grizz. Taft spoke up with some fire in his eyes "don't change what I'm gonna do to them varmints one bit."

Grizz stared back at him "didn't say it should. Whiskey, you say somethin about pie?"

Wonderin when he would ask for the pie. Didn't have wonder for long. I set the pie down and left to change out of this dress. Things had a way of happening quickly and I could just see it now, trying to run with a loaded rifle or scatter gun and landing flat on my face! Besides, never saw a deputy in fancy dress.

Mr. Baxter was at the creek washing up for the first time in years. After stopping at the cafe, I picked up some new clothes, soap and a fine bay rum aftershave for him. Wasn't fittin for a Southern gentleman to be in such a state. So I borrowed his back room, Lawdy I was happy to take off those shoes. Put on my workin clothes in no time flat. Still probably missed out on the pie though.

Whiskey uncovered a hot apple pie and I, fast as greased lighning, held out my plate. Whiskey, not abot to be out done, said, "Bot, that was fast ! Sure hope you're that fast when we catch up to Hayes !!" "Well" I said glupping down a mouth full of apple pie, "Guess we'll find out soon nuff." I sipped on some fresh brewed coffee and looked out the window.

"What are you talking bout Hawk ?" Whiskey asked with her hands on her hips. Taft stopped eating in mid-strade. "Da feller I kilt in da loft,...well he is Hayes's outrider. And when he don't report to Hayes, he'll think dat we got'em. Hayes is tryed of us doggin' his trail. He'll trun a fight....soon !" "Now that's more to my liking !" Taft said in a loud voice. He was truely happy with this idea. Whiskey stood there, motoinless. Now she would get a change to use those peacemakers and soon.

"Baxter, I said, "We'll be needin dis place to shoot it out wif Hayes's boys." "That is quite alright, Col. I know this man. His fame porcesses him. Of course you may have use of my barn !" "I thank ya Baxter, we'll pay fer any damages wrouth on by da fight." "You'll do no such thing ! I will remove the horses now." He tipped his hat to Whiskey, nodded to Grizz and Taft.

I got a stick and draw a rough drawing of the town. "We'll put guns here" I said, pointing to the windows. Grizz, seein' as dis used to be a minin' town, see ifin' you can scare up some dyamite. We'll have to fall back sooner or later, so Taft, I want you in da grain shed. Take yur 73 and my scattergun wif ya. Ifin' ya git a chance, use'em both. Whiskey, I want you in the dry goods store. Take all yur guns wif ya. Ifin' ya need more ammo, take it from dat. We'll pay fer it later. Me and Grizz will stay in here fer a long as we can, givin' y'all time to git to yur postions." There is a watering thuff at the entrance to livery."Grizz, lets set some guns behind here and check wif da towns folk to see ifin we can barrow some of der guns. Sure don't want to git dem good folk invovled, but don't see no way around dat. Mean while, let's just enjoy our grub, ok ?"

Grizz grabbed a piece of paper and starting writing quickly.

"Makin out yer will Grizz?" Hawk asked.

"Nope, Writin a note to Tug, tellin him to get his people out of town and stay out of the way."

Taft spoke up "him and his deputies might be of some help though"

"Nope, when it starts I want to know who all the shooters are, we don't know his men, and if'n they was shootin we might just shoot them" Grizz answered.

"Reckon you got a point" Taft answered.

Grizz sent Baxter off with the note and started loading his guns, making sure each pistol was loaded with 6 rounds. Not a safe way to carry them, but in a fight you needed every round you could get.

Hawk had gone to the creek and brought back a plate full of mud and was smearing it all over his face and arms.

There was activity in town, Tug had gotten the note. Baxter got back and saw Hawk covered him mud and broke out in a big grin. Much to Whiskeys horror, he quickly followed Hawks example.

"Time to be moving out folks" Grizz announced. Whiskey and Taft gathered their gear. When they turned around Baxter and Hawk were gone. "But that will leave you here alone" Whiskey almost whispered.

"Yup" Grizz said, "but dey don't know that" jerking his thumb towards the town. "All I got to do is move from window to window to make them think we're all here, they'll close in, then the rest of you all will have them trapped."

Taft whistled "Risky"

"Hayes is smart though, he'll probably hang back with some of his men, be careful."

And with that, they were gone. "Bout time" Grizz muttered grabbing the apple pie tin and scooping out the last bits with his fingers. Grizz had no doubt that Hawk and Baxter would be hidden in the woods so well even a trained dog would have trouble finding them, he could only hope and pray that Taft and Whiskey could stay hidden in town long enough before all hell broke loose.

I saw a lone rider coming down the road. "That's Tom Anderson," Grizz said out loud. "What in Sam's ill is he doing here now ?" I pointed to Baxter that Anderson was in town. "Now this just will not do !" Baxter said and ran toward to saloon. In a few momments I saw them both running between the towns buildings and back to where I lay.

Baxter said, "Col. Sir, I know this man and he will fight with us !" "Yep, I know'em too. Met on da trail awhile back. Ok Anderson, go to da back of livery and tell Grizz yur gonna help him." Anderson nodded yes and was off like a flash. I signalled to Grizz he was coming. "Col, if I may...." Anderson's family is bein' held at his small ranch. Ifin' he don't come back wif my head in his saddlebag, Hayes will mudder his family." "And you beleive that Sir ?" I just looked straight down the road and hill.

Day passed and the night came. I saw smoke coming out the chimmey of the livery and I though how warm that fire would feel. I also wondered how Taft and Whiskey was holding out. I was used to this ....waiting. Taft and Whiskey was not. My whole life was waiting for an animal to pass within range of my bow. And later, it was a yankee. Always did think that blue uniform looked a little better with a bloch of red on it. And now I was waiting on Hayes !!

Daylight broke on me, cold and fresh. Baxter and I where used to this. After all, we where hunting yankees during the war. But things have change. I had not surrendered to the Yankees. I beliveve a man only takes an oath once in his life. I chose the Confederate States of America. Suddenly I heard the sounds of horses coming up the hill. "Damn it, Hayes aint wif'em !" I whispered to Baxter. "How do you know, Sir ?" I answered, "Hayes aint dat dumb, ridin' up hill into a town like dat."

When that finally broke cover Grizz shouted out to them..."Captian Grizz Dave, U.S. Marshall, throw you're guns down and you're hands up !"

The group of riders stopped in their tracks. They sat there on their horses as if trying to figure out what to do. They were out of range and everyone knew it.

Anderson watched for a few minutes and was getting nervous. "What are they doin Grizz?"

"Just about what I expected. They'll hem and haw out there about as long as they think they can get away with it, then they'll ride in hard."

"Why in the heck?"

"They're trying to keep out attention directed at them while the rest of the band closes from the other sides" Grizz told him.

"Oh, I see, not a bad tactic" Anderson said.

"Used it my own self a time or two" Grizz said "helps flush out any sentries too as they get nervous and start shooting. When I start it, pick your shots. We'll take this bunch, Hawk, Baxter, Whiskey and Taft will take care of the others."

It was clear that a man at the center of the bunch was calling the shots, the other riders kept looking to him for a signal to go. Grizz checked his sharps to make sure it was loaded and adjusted the sight, taking note of the leaves blowing in the breeze. Then he took a bead on the mans midsection and waited. If things want according to plan it would take out that man and the riders horse behind him.

After a few minutes Grizz saw the man giving last minute instructions and the men getting ready taking the tie downs off their pistols and jacking rounds into rifles. Just as the man started to raise his quirt Grizz pulled the trigger.

The slug found it's mark, it had begun.

I ran out into the dirt trail, knelt down and fire 3 quick rounds into these bushwackers back. Saw 2 men fall and they rode hell bent for leather right at Grizz. I heard other horses in the near distance and here they came, from the west. I hid in the scurb brush, took aim with my bow and let an arrow fly. And it also found it's mark, in the front riders throat, blood spurting all around. I drew my bow again and let fly an other arrow, landing in the outriders chest. I was trying to keep them himed in so not to schatter.

Grizz and Anderson was sending hot lead all round. Grizz had the back out and left window and Anderson had the right. Anderson was going to have his hands full, as this is where the main body would strike.

I heard Taft fire and saw a rider go flying off his horse and out of his boots. And I herd Taft shouting, "Yeah boys...Come git somemore, you somebitches !!" Then there was a boom !!

Whiskey had lit her ceegar and a fuze on a stick of dyinamite, throwing it out in the street. Horses whinninyed and and reared, men went flying. Then she opened up with her peacemakers. I saw men falling all round and she was working the lever on he carbine, shouting something I didn't understand !

I crawled closer to the riders, broke cover and fired 3 more quick rounds and saw all 3 fall. The look of surpise on their faces was intense. Now, all 6 men coming at us where now history, so Grizz, Anderson and I swung about face and started protecting the livery stable. As we snoke out into the barn, I watched Grizz looking surpised at Baxter. He was covered in blood...but not his.

Taft started firing his pistols, cause there's something about Walkers with converison cyclinders. The speak with authority ! And Taft was letting it go ! We had them boys in a cross fire and was cutting them to bits. I herd the boom...boom of Whiskey's twice shoot gun s she cut a man in half.

But the fight was far from over ..............................

Everything happened so fast, seems like the guns were shootin on their own. Two men had a bead on Taft. I lit another stick of dynamite on my cheroot and tossed it at the two aimin at Taft. Oh, made some fur fly! Gave me enough time to reload my peace makers. Another one of Hayes men was havin a hard time controllin his frightened hoss, it was rarin and buckin, makin an awful racket. Throwin up a huge dust cloud. He started shooting up a house till couple my bullits sent him straight to hell where he belongs.

I lit another stick of dynamite and tossed at some more of Hayes boys. Had the most gratifyin effect. As I started reloading my carbine, I heard the unmistakable sound of a hammer being cocked. Behind the barrel that was pointed right at me was Hayes himself!

Grizz peeked around the corner just in time to see a man sneak up on where Whiskey was holed up. He let loose a volley from his 73 that sent the man diving for cover. "Dang it, winged him but he got away."

"Oh no!" Anderson yelled as two riders broke off and headed south out of town "they're heading for my place!"

Another rider was just making it past the corner of the livery where Grizz was hiding when Grizz reached out with his right hand and grabbed the reins, pulling them and the rider towards him. His left had came up from his side and caught the man square on the jaw. The sound of the man's neck snapping was sickening, added to the spray of blood from the mans tongue that he'd bitten off it was a gruesome scene.

Grizz used the horse for cover running over to where Anderson was, when he got there he threw Anderson into the saddle. "Go! I'll follow as soon as I can!"

Before Grizz made it back to cover a bullet grazed him on his right side where his belly hung over his belt. He pulled his left colt and fired once hitting the man in the forehead.

The fighting had died down a bit but it was still chaotic. Grizz ran back to retrieve his 73 and then ran along side the next horse that ran by and launched himself up into the saddle and rode hard after Anderson. Baxter laid down some cover fire helping to secure his escape. He hated to leave the rest here, but if those men made it to Anderson's place, Anderson's wife and kids would be killed. Grizz tried to push that thought from his mind and spurred the horse harder.

I snoke inside the dry goods store just in time to see Hayes grab Whiskey and walk out in the middle of the street. All parties stop their firing, afraid they would hit Whiskey or just to watch the spectacal. Even though badly wounded, Hayes called shouted out, "Hawk...come on out...Come on out now or the cute little lady here gets a bullet to her pretty head ! You hear me Hawk ?"

I stepped out into the street where Whiskey and Hayes stood. "Well, well Hayes.....took to hidin' behind women, are ya ?" "Shut up and listen ! Aint gonna say this more than once.....Git you're people and git out of town, or I'll kill the women here !! I looked Whiskey in the eye, and she knew I was up to something. "Go ahead Hayes...she's just a pain in da backside ! Go head and kill her, makes no differance to me !..." " You have no morals Hawk...I admire a man like that. You could have joined up with me if you aint no breed. Won't have that !! I'll give two minutes to leave town...When I see ya riding out by the livery, I'll spare her life !"

"I'll do ya one better, Hayes. Ya know dat aint gonna happen. And ya know I don't care ifin' ya kill da women or not." Whiskey, struggleing agasint Hayes, looking at me as if I had lost my mind. "So, let's me and you fight it out to da death ! No guns...just knifes. You win, you and yur men can go free. And git me off ya trail. I win....well, ya know what dat means !" I said with a grin. "What ya say Hayes ?"

"Boys, hold yur fire till the fight is over, then kill'em all ! If I see a shot being fired, I kill that man !" Hayes said. "Same for me !" I shouted. I knew Taft, Baxter, and Whiskey would'nt like that, but I was going Injun now, felling and thinking like a full blood Apache. Hayes and I took our gun belts off at the same time. I walked in a circle around Hayes, to put the sun in his eyes. Then the fight started. The grunting sounds, the singing of razor sharp knife blades slicing through the air. And the sound when they made when they caught skin.

And then Hayes and I where locked in a death grip.....Wounded and weak from his blood loose, We locked arms, struggling to get a hand free. I smiled at Hayes as I felt his grip starting to loosen. "Go to Hell, you half-breed !" "You first !" I said as I sank my tooth pick fighting knife in at his belly button, my thumb and index and middle finger in his gut, and using his back bone as a guide, un-seamed Hayes all the way to his throat. I saw his surprised look on his face, and then the light in his eyes slowly fade out. He gasp, and hit the ground dead.

I started to dance a victory dance around my defeated torrmentor. I reached down, dipped my figer in his blood and put a spot on my eagle feather, which meant I killed a enimey by hand. I ride his blood across my fore head and down my cheeks. Then I sat down beside his lifeless body, chanting, singing.

Taft came walking over to me but was stopped by Baxter. "He's gone "Pache ! Best not touch him till he calms down and comes back to us, or you'll be layin' next to Hayes !" Taft jacked another round in his rifle and fired, caughting a man in the head and then removing it. Whiskey finished reloading her carbine, and let lead fly, some well placed shots, two in the backs of the fleeing bad guys. "Always double tapp" she said. Baxterlined up his bufflao gun and pulled thew trigger, sending the last bad guy head first into the dust.

I came out of my injun way, caught my breath and realized Hayes had, indeed cut me in my lower gut. I was bleeding, but not bad. "Let's git out to Anderson's place Hawk !" Whiskey said to me. Taft shouted at me..."Hawk, you alright to ride ? Them riders are gonna kill Anderson's family ! We got to move !" I nodded and swung up on Hawkeye and all of us rode like the wind to Anderson's ranch and to help Grizz. "Sure hope dat damn fool aint went and got hisfelf kilt !" I thought.

Grizz rode hard after Anderson, the wound in his side was bleeding so he packed a banana over the top and pulled his gunbelt up to hold it in place, that would have to do until this little dust up was over and he could get it doctored right.

Grizz was just getting within sight of Anderson when Tom went over a little rise. When Grizz got there seconds later he was no where in sight, but he should have been. He reined up sliding the horse to a stop. Walking the horse in a wide circle he saw the tracks of two horses continuing down the wagon road, and the tracks of one horse that broke off the road and down a pretty steep hill.

Grizz turned the horse down the hill as fast as he could. His back laid out over the cantle and knees hanging onto the swell as best he could. While the hill was steep, it wasn't really that long before it bottomed out into a dry river bed, the tracks turned south and Grizz followed them as fast as he could, before long he caught sight of Anderson, and then caught up with him.

Anderson was exhausted but was pushing himself and the horse as hard as he possibly could for the sake of his family. "Bout a mile more, turns west, should cut them off" he gasped out.

Grizz spurred his horse on and pulled away from Anderson, and just as he'd said, about a mile on down, he started to catch sight of the wagon road, and sure enough there were the two riders. Grizz rode paralell to the road down in the creek bed, catching glimpes of the riders through the trees. He pulled the 73 from the scabbard, stuffed a few rounds in it and chambered one. He had no idea how many were left in it, but loading a rifle on a galloping horse wasn't something he'd ever gotten too good at. Several of the rounds he tried to load bounced off the loading gate of the rifle and hit the dirt.

The wagon road was getting closer to the creek bed, Grizz would have to act soon or risk being spotted. Up til now he'd been hidden fairly well and the men had been looking over their shoulders at the road, not off to the ride. Grizz cussed himself silently for not grabbing his buffer gun, but it had been in the livery and things had been happening mighty quick back in town.

Looking forward Grizz picked his spot, the road and the river bed were fairly close and he'd be hidden by the trees until the riders cleared them. When he got there, he reined up and set his sights just ahead of the trees where he expected the riders to emerge. The shot would be over 100 yards off hand with a 73, damn how he wished for his sharps. Sweat was dripping off his head, stinging his eyes, but he held firm on the spot, and for once that day everything went as planned. The riders emerged and Grizz sent a round towards the lead horse right at the saddle, as he jacked in another round the horse went down with the other horse and rider piling into it. Grizz sent a volley into the pile of horse and human flesh.

A wearly Grizz slid down off his horse, took the ties off his colts and slowly walked the horse towards the road as he reloaded the rifle. Anderson was coming hard behind him and they both reached the road about the same time. Anderson was wild eyef and ranting as he put several rounds into each of the lifeless bodies. Grizz put a big hand on the man's shoulder, "they ain't gonna get no deader" and Anderson stopped shooting. After a couple minutes his breathing slowed back down to normal and his mind cleared. "We need to get to my ranch."

Grizz pulled a cantten from one of the dead horses, took a drink and passed it to Anderson. "How far, and could they have heard the shots?"

Anderson took a drink, spar it out and then took a long pull on the canteen and swallowed. "Couple miles yet, over a big hill, doubt they heard anything"

"Good. Lets catch out breath here a few minutes then. See what these feller have that we can use"

We rode hard, hell bent for leather for Tom Anderson's ranch. All three of us knew if we took the wagon road out of town, we could be riding into a ambush. But if we didn't, Tom's family most likely would be history. The dice was cast: on the road we went.

My wounds where not great, as I took my hankacheif and stuffed it into the graping slice Hayes had lucky put into me. I felt the pain of it going in but though bout Tom and his family. Our horses where starting to play out, but we spured them on anyway. As we rode, I re-loaded my 1860 44-40 and felt a satisfaction I never felt before and I had to fight back a smile.

Suddnely, their was a rickasey off a near by rock. "Someone's shootin' at us ! Take cover ! " I was off Hawkeye before he even stopped running, found a place for cover and waited. Whiskey and Taft had done the same. Then I saw the brim of a hat...that trick I taught Grizz. "Grizz.....Dat you !" "Hawk.....boy am I ever glad to see ya ! Looks like y'all are in one picec, expect for a wound here....." Grizz said as I pointed to my lower gut. "Speak fer ya self, white man !" as I laughed and pointed to his wound. Grizz asked,"What bout Hayes and his men ?" " All dead.....even Hayes !" I replyed with a smile. Grizz nodded in aproval. "Good then. As far as those men Hayes left behind at Anderson's place, everything went as planned. " "Des da two dat rode out went da fight commanced ?" I asked. "Yup, put a round in each...the rest is Tom's handywork."

The one with blond hair, I had a handbill on. And he was the last one I knew that helped in the whipping. I quicky put my scapling knife to work before Grizz could say anything. "Leave'em. I come back fer him later, ifin Mr. Anderson will let me barrow a horse." " I sure will Hawk, but we have to get to my ranch house quick, or those men will...." "Those men will do what ?" Grizz asked. "As far as they know, Hayes is alive and in town. Time is on our side for a change." Whiskey then replyed, "Well what's the plan, then?" She was still feeling embarassed that Hayes had got the drop on her. Taft had not said a word. What was personal for him was over, now it was as if the war wasn't over. He re-loaded his 45-120 lever action rifle and said, "We can stay here for most of the night...rest up....then go to the ranch house bout one or two in the mornin'?"

We all agreed, and set up camp...cold camp for the night. Set up a tie line cause we didn't want the horses walking too close to the ranch, and alarming those men. I sharpened my fighting knife, as I started, I noticed Hayes blood all over the handle, and my hand. "Dis is good !" I said out loud, as proudly as posible.A nd the others just looked at me. I could fell their eyes on me, wondeing if I had changed. Indeed , I had.

After resting a spell they drug the carcasses of the dead horses and outlaws off the road and kicked dirt over the blood pools as best they could. They made a quick camp where they could watch the road in case anyone happened by, nobody did.

Between all of the saddlebags, they found enough of jerky and hard tack to make for a somewhat decent meal, but it sure wasn't the chicken and dumplings they'd enjoyed the night before. Whiskey insisted on cleaning and stitching Hawk and Grizz's wounds. Taft helped out and did the stitching on Grizz's belly. Having had a fair amount of experience with leather work, it looked right nice, but Taft said it would look better with a little border stamping. They had a bottle of whiskey, but used it sparingly figuring Grizz and Hawk might need a fair bit to kill the pain come morning.

By the moonlight, Anderson scratched a map to his ranch in the dirt, and answered many questions about how the house and outbuildings were laid out, where the outlaws would likely be, where would be the best cover and things of that nature.

Hawk volunteered to take the first watch and the rest tried to sleep as much as they could. After Grizz was snoring loudly and the others nodding off, Hawk woke Taft and led him quietly out of earshot of the camp.

"I'm gonna go have a look see, take over the watch, and whatever you do, don't let Anderson leave" Hawk told him glancing back towards the camp.

Taft nodded "How long you gonna be?"

"How long does it take to catch a fish?" was all Hawk replied, adding as an afterthought "if I ain't back in three or four hours, wake Grizz up."

As Taft slipped back into camp, Hawk led his horse out not bothering with a saddle. When he was far enough away he swung up on the horses back and started making his way towards Anderson's ranch with only the moonlight and stars, and the memory of a map scratched in the dirt to guide him.

It was 2am when I reached the outskrits of the Anderson ranch. I couldn't beleive me eyes when I was it. The ranch was run down....in a state of disrapir. Barns was in bad shape, stock running out wild.....house with weeds growing on the walls and roof.....holding pens busted. Looks like no one had been here in months. I rode quikety on, checking out the paddock where a few cows lay, chewing their cuds. "Damn..what's dat smell ?" I thought. That's when I saw something I thought was water....instead it was oil !!!

I let Hawkeye wonder abit but said, "You stay close, ya hear ?" Hawkeye always seemed to understand me ad what I was saying. More important, the horse seemed to understand what I am thinking. I saw a small light coming from the main house. So, I went by the barn, then went up to the tack room. I liked the smell of leather, even if there was none here. I eased open the door, and slipped out and went right up to the window. I listened to three cowboys laughing , playing cards and drinking.

"I tell you fellers somethin' rat now.....Ifin' da Anderson feller don't come fer his family, I'm gonna have some fun with dat little lady of his !" one cowboy said, looking into the dark small room. "HEY....You'll do nothing like dat....Boss said so !! Sides, when he don't show, his widow's mine ...All mine !" That looked like the ramrod to me.

"You know what da Boss said. Once we git word, Anderson signed over his ranch to da Boss, he's gonna head out here to collect'em. But deys gonna be dead, so will Anderson. And you know ole Hayes when he don't git his way !" "Meaner dan a ratter in da Texas heat !" said the thrird cowboy. I went round to the small room when the 3rd cowboy had been. It was dark and I could make out 3 figures in the darkness.

"Mrs Anderson...over here." She looked up and saw me in the window and gasped. "Mrs Anderson, Tom sent me. He's safe. He said to tell you he's comeing fer you and them kids. Have faith, it'll work out !" I blew her a kiss as I left just to ease her mind. She was a handsome women, bout 30ish, good looking to have 2 chrildren.

I slipped back into the tackroom and out to the barn and that's where Hawkeye was waiting. Damn animal could read my mind. I slipped up on it's back and just as quitley as I had come in, I rode back to our camp. Where I got back, eveyone was awake...waiting on my report...and them faces did not look none to happy about the thought of me doing some scouting on my own.

Grizz listened to Hawks report as he saddled the gelding he was riding. It wasn't a bad horse, but it sure wasn't his. And the saddle was trying to conform Grizz's backside to it, where his own saddle had come to fit him perfectly over years of use. He then took one of the gunbelts that they'd taken from the dead outlaws and rigged it around the pommel.

"Grizz! You payin 'tenshun or what?" Hawk called over.

Grizz ignored him and started cleaning the horses hooves before he spoke. "If they be expecting Anderson to come riden up, then that's what we should give them."

Whiskey's eyes flared "but they'll cut him down as soon as he's in range"

"Maybe, maybe not. But we need something to draw their attention to the front." Grizz continued.

Hawk just nodded as if he already knew what was coming next. Taft looked interested "so while they all be paying attention to Anderson we sneak in the back?"

Anderson sat by not speaking. It seemed he was going from being mad as hell one minute, to scared to death the next.

Grizz walked over to the drawing in the dirt. "Taft, you'll be here" drawing a 'T' by the chicken coop. "I'll be here" he continued and drew a 'G' on the other side of the road into the ranch yard where a stand of trees was said to be next to a rock outcropping. "Anderson rides in here plain as day" Grizz slid the stick down the road. "Tie yer horse up at the barn, NOT the house, you'll be out of range enough they'll have to come out of the house. Hollar to them that Hayes sent a note and some whiskey for them in these saddle bags"

Anderson nodded, "what if they ask me what the note say?"

"Just tell them yer momma died of the fever before she could learn ya to read"

Grizz dumped the contents of the saddle bags out, putting back only some folded papers, a bottle of whiskey, and a two peace makers, one in each side. "Between the note and the whiskey, that should get most of them outside."

Whiskey seemed to be seeing the plan now, "and Hawk and I slip in the back and get the woman and kids then?"

"Hawk goes in first to make sure they don't have any lookouts, then he'll signal you to come out of the trees. When it starts you both take the house, Hawk can handle the men and you can round up the woman and kids and get them out the back."

Whiskey nodded "works for me."

Grizz looked up and towards Hawk, "bout what you had in mind?"

Hawk smiled, "would work better if'n he drove up wit a buggy full of whores"

Grizz looked up and towards Hawk, "bout what you had in mind?"

Hawk smiled, "would work better if'n he drove up wit a buggy full of wh___s"

OK, so the dress was one thing, but I'm not, I say I'm not dressin up like a wh___! I took the whiskey out of the saddlebag and had a pull. Grizz started to protest, I shot him a look.

Hawk took it all in and roared! "Don't worry Whiskey, I was just funnin ya."

I was still laughing as I threw my saddle across Hawkeye's back. Whiskey sot me a look and asked "What the hell you looking at Hawk ?" she amost shouted. I was still chuckling as I swung up into the saddle and reached down for Whiskey's hand. "No way in hell !" she shouted up at me. I feared the men at the Anderson place may have heard that, so I taught quick. "Yur to git Mrs Anderson and dem young'ins out, rat ?" "Right !" Whiskey said, arms crossed. You want to stick around fer da gunplay, rat ?" Whiskey's eyes lite up. "Gun play you say ?" I answered "Yup. Mrs Anderson will keep them young'ins safe, on my horse. Mean while, we'll keep dem fellers real busy...rat ?" At last she was smiling, realizing da plan, she grabed my hand and off we went.

As I swung Hawkeye in the dircetion of the Anderson Ranch, I glanced down at Grizz. He met my gaze and I just shurged my shoulders and got my ears boxed for my trouble.

As we got to the ranch, the sun was just starting to peak over the raise to the east. I could smell coffee brewing....some one was up ! I reasoned it must be Mrs. Anderson. Cause those kind of outlaws are not smart enough to make it themselfs. I was right, it was Mrs Anderson. She was searching the darkness for me . "Hey Missy, you be lookin fer someone to save ya out der ?" asked one of those outlaws gaurding her and those childern.

I slide off Hawkeye and helped Whiskey down. Not to be a gentleman.....but to keep her noise down if she jumped. As she hit the ground, she went to check out the east side of the tack room. I saw one of the men escort Mrs Anderson back out to the tack room, with a cup of coffee in his hand. "Ok then....One down !" I thought , and slipped inside the tackroom. My fighting knife made short work of his throat. I motioned Whiskey to come in and help me. We had a hell of a time waking them up. Mrs. Anderson swung up in the saddle and Hawkeye let her. He knew just how important this was. I sat the next to youngest behind Mrs Anderson and Whiskey put the oldest behind that one. I handed the youngest one, still sleeping, up to Mrs Anderson's arms and say to her, "Hawkeye knows the way to camp. Dat's where you man is." Her voice got shakey and she said, "Thank you..both of you !" I tipped my hat and tapped Hawkeye's rump.

I took my hat off and was going "Injun" again. Whiskey had never seen me in my braids and just stared. I checked the south side then the north side of the tack room. As I did so, Whiskey was checking her peacemakers. I put my hand on them and shook my head. And she frowned. I took one of them peacemakers and handed it back to her,...butt frist. She nodded. I heard a sound and using my hands, I pointed to my eyes then to her's and to look round the conor. She came back two fingers making a back and forth motion as a man walking.

I nodedd and drew my bow while taking an arrow out. And I waited. "Wonder if Taft and Grizz are in postion yet ?"

( Take it away Grizz !!)

Anderson played his part well, the outlaws were buying it and four men came out front when he started hollering.

Grizz cut a hunk off his plug of tobacco and put it in his mouth, spat on his boot and then settled in with the rifle trained on one of the outlaws and waited.

With Anderson not a hurry to walk towards the house, one of the outlaws started to raise a rifle, Grizz sent a shot at the rifle hitting the man in the hand and sending the rifle to the ground. Anderson dropped the saddle bags and jumped back on the horse and high tailed it out of there.

"US Marshals, drop yer guns." Grizz shouted.

It was only a split second before the outlaws went for their guns and went for cover from where Grizz was. Then Taft opened up with his rifle. The men didn't know which way to run now, so they tried to retreat to the house where Whiskey and Hawk were now waiting for them.

It was over in only a few short minutes. All of the outlaws laid dead or dying in the dirt. Grizz and Taft made their way into the house, checking each outbuilding as they came to make sure no more were hiding out, none were.

When Grizz got to the house Taft was bending over one of the wounded outlaws who was pleading for his life. Taft plucked a scarf out of the man's pocket. "This be momma Taft's scarf" he was nearly screaming at the man.

Taft looked over at Grizz as if asking permission to finish him off.

Grizz shrugged his shoulders, "I'm gonna go inside and git a cup of coffee" and then he walked inside. When he came back out with two cups of steaming brew in his hand, Taft had the man sitting up and had tied his hands. "Been enough killin, he can stew on what he done until he hangs."

Whiskey came out and I followed, checking every nook and cranny as to outlaws. When I was satisifeyed all where gone, then and only then did I let make gaurd drop. "Hope y'all leaft some fer me and Whiskey !" I said to Grizz while looking down at the tied and wounded outlaw. Grizz just matered something and pointed toward the kicthen. I went in, grabed a cup and poured some of that hot wonderful smelling brew and sipped it slow.

Went back outside, Whiskey was in the doorway, sipping her coffee. "Finish'em of hang'em ?" I asked Grizz. "Dont rightly know, Hawk..." He whispered to me. "Well, he's a horse theif, people stealer, and robber. I think he needs hangin'. Da law calls fer it Captin.....you know dat !" I said as I sipped my delicous brew. " Damn you Hawk, Do what you think's best ! And if you call me "Captin again, you'll be joining him !" Grizz was mad and I could see him taking the throng off his pistol. I could see he meant it and would have draw on me, till he saw I had the leather throng off my dragoon long before he had his leather throng off his pistol.

I took another sipp of coffee, looking Grizz in the eye. It was true, he and I was in the war. He was union, I was Confederate. He was white and I was half red. But that's where the differaces stopped. I wasn't sure I could take Grizz, and was thankful I wasn't going to find out. But I was thinking he couldn't take me. I walked out into the ranch yard, rifle in hand. "Whars he going !" Grizz took a deep breath, put the leather throng back on the hammer of his pistol, looked down at the wounded outlaw and said, "He's gonna a tree to hang you from, son." With that said, Grizz pulled out a pen knife and cut another chew of tobacco from his plug and chewed it like it was his breakfast.

After the dirty deed had been done, I rode out to somewhere on Anderson's ranch, the body bouncing as Hawkeye ran as fast as he could. I got back to the ranch, Tom had his wife and childern back with him. They where all so thankfull, and offered to pay us but we turned it down, of course. All of us rode back to town not speaking at all. We went into the saloon and the barkeep said, almost yelling, "Hey, we dont allow his kind here !" And he looked a Whiskey and said "Get up stairs...cowboy's all payed up !!" I saw Whiskey's face turn red and she was shaking mad. Grizz nodded his approval and Whiskey jerked her peacemakers and went to work in the saloon. When she had emptyed them, Grizz stepped forward, motioning for us to take a table in the conor, walked up to the barkeep and said, "Captian Grizzley Dave, U.S. Marshal. These folk are my deputies. They, the Col and I are going to drink and play cards for a spell. You don't mind......RIGHT ?" as he pointed his pistol at the barkeep. Grizz smiled and said "Thank Ya" and took a bottle, some glasses, walked over to the table.

He pulled up a chair and poured us all a drink. He lefted his glass and said, "To friends!" To which we all answered, "Here..Here !"

It wasn't long before Tug and Baxter joined the party. Baxter was still mad about having to stay in town when the rest had gone out to Anderson's place.

Tug strode in and grabbed a chair from a nearby table, turned it around and sat down straddling it. "With that wagonload you brought in today, the undertakers got 'em stacked like cordwood what with all the other's you left here in town."

"Told ya it might get a little messy" Grizz said as he poured Tug a drink.

"If that was a little messy, I don't want to be in the same state as you all when it gets alot messy" Tug said laughing.

Grizz laughed and then got a serious look on his face "any...problems 'round here from what we did?"

"Not a one" Tug offered, "oh a little backlash from the uppity folk in town, but I reckon they be just as glad as anyone to have that lot dead. I sent a wire to that Judge friend of your in Denver too, let him know what happened."

"You get a reply yet?" Grizz asked.

Tug smiled. "Said he just wanted to make sure you identified yourself as a Marshal before ya started shooting."

Grizz gritted his teeth and growled "every damn time I did, every damn time."

The rest nodded in agreement and Hawk spoke up "he almost forgot one time, so I did it for him!"

"I told him you had Grizz" Tug said. "He's on his way here with a newpaper man now."

"He's coming here? From Denver?" Grizz poured himself another drink and threw it back. "We'd best get some supper now then, barkeep! I want to see you back here with full steak dinners and a couple loafs of bread in ten minutes or I'm gonna..."

The rest looked at him, "yes, you're gonna what Grizz?"

Grizz looked back towards the bar, the barkeep was already gone.

The Judge and the newspaper man came in on the next train. As they asked Grizz how he had brought the lot to justice, I checked my saddle bags, which where full and stepped up into the saddle. I looked over at Grizz, who, by now had that "Help Me' Look on his face. I shook my head no and layed 3 fingers on my slevee, for which Grizz knew it meant Col. I then tipped my hat to him.

As spured Hawkeye onward, Taft and Whiskey came running out the saloon. "Just where in the hell do you think you're going ?" Whiskey asked with her hands on her hips. "Well, answer the lady...Whar ya going Hawk ?" Taft asked. And I replyed, "Dont rightly know. Out der, somewhars, I guess." Whiskey walked over angerly and said, "Well Mr. Hawk that will not do. You're coming home with..." "NO !" I said frimly. "Don't want no damn chaity, won't take it. I am Apache ! Hell Whiskey, I'd be dead wif in one month wif a roof over my head !" Taft walked over with his hand out. I took it and he said, If ya need anything at all, well....you know where I hang my hat ." "Yup, shore nuff do my friend."

"Don't let Grizz suffer too long Taft. He's lookin' bit weary all ready. Mrs Whiskey," I said tipping my hat to her and nuding Hawkeye onward. As I past Grizz, I nodded to him my farewell and he nodded back as if to say, "Thanks my Friend !" I took a deep breath and rode on out of town. It was gonna feel better to be somewhere where I didn't have to wear a coat. After setting up camp, got a couple of jack rabbits on da spit, I leaned back on my saddle. Hawkeye was happy to get some green grazing. I leaned back and took a long pull on the whiskey bottle I put in my saddle bag. I thought about all we had been through, how we had almost died and how Grizz...a man what did not want a fuss made about him....was finding for himself asgainst the newspapers ! I chuckled...."Hell,der'll want to make him a senator..again !!"

Grizz handled the questions as long as he could take it, towards the end, he saw Whiskey and Taft walking their horses out of the livery. Grizz got Taft's attention, pointing one finger in the air, then towards the livery and then towards himself, then let his whole hand kind of flutter down to his side.

Taft handed off his reins to Whiskey and went back into the livery and saddled Grizz's horse and led it out. As Whiskey handed him his own reins, he dropped Grizz's horses reins and swung up into the saddle and he and Whiskey headed down towards the train station.

"Well lookee there boys" Grizz told the Judge and newspaperman "my horse got loose, I'd best go catch him" and with that he headed down the street.

The Judge assured the man Grizz would be right back for pictures, but wasn't really too surprised when Grizz jumped up into the saddle and loped after Whiskey and Taft.

"But what about my pictures?" the newman stammered.

"I reckon he didn't want his picture taken" the judge laughed.

Grizz got to the station just in time to load his horse on the box car with Whiskey and Taft's before the door was closed.

Whiskey was shocked when Grizz barreled through the door into the passenger car and sat down opposite her. "What in the heck? I thought you'd be going back to Denver as the Judge's new prize pony"

"I ain't nobody's prize nothin" Grizz growled, then let loose a big grin "I reckon they thought that too" and he laughed.

"How far you riding with us then?" Taft asked.

"Well, Hawk told me he made a promise to Mama Taft to bring you home safe, I volunteered to take his place on the trip" Grizz said.

"Thinking they'll forget about you in Denver by the time you get back?" Whiskey asked.

"Well I can hope, at least I got outta there" he jerked his thumb back towards town "before that dang pencil pusher could get a picture of me."

Grizz reached inside his duster and took the Marshal's badge off his vest and slipped it into an inside pocket, stretched his feet out pulled his hat down low, and went to sleep.

I rode due south and all the while, something just didn't set right in my craw. "Well Hawkeye, you want to see Missoura again ? Somethin' I gotta do !"

And with that, my horse broke out in a gentle all day counter. We stopped to rest now and again, but mainly kept moving. I made camp, not know just how close I was till I heard a low snapping noise. So low most white folk would miss it. And it wasn't that kind of hunters. I built the fire up real big and slipped into the woods. I looked toward the fire and could make out the outline of a feller sleeping. "Knew des trees would come in handy fer somethin", I thought as I watched the fire.

Wasn't too long a wait. Saw 5 shots rip into what the shooter beleived was me. Just as he walked into the light of the fire, he realized that it was a blanket stuffed into another blanket. "It's a set up ! Let's move!" the guy called out. I put 3 rounds into him. Two in the chest and one in the head. Dropped like a rock.

I levered my 1860 Henry as fast as possilbe towrd the shadow fleeing. I tryed to caught him but saw something shiny laying on the ground. "New Double Eagle !" I said out loud. I went back to the fire and checked the dead guy's pockets and he had one too. Both new, not a mark on them. And there was a blood trail I could see clearly in the darkness.

I grabbed up my stuff and saddled Hawkeye. "Come on boy. Dis place is full of death and spririts. Let's pit some miles between here and us!" I stepped into the saddle and didn't even have to spur Hawkeye on. He wanted out of there as bad as I did. And I followed the blood trail as far as it went.

As daybreak came, I stopped riding, let Hawkeye graze free, and built a somewhat camp. I had some coffee going and pulled out the last of my hard tack. I sat chewing away when I got the sudden and shocking feeling right down to the bone that I was being watched. I instictifly dropped my coffee and hard tack, drew my dragoon and sided behind my saddle, aiming at the rock, just above me. "Excues me fer starin..Aint seen a white man fer months now." He stood out on the rock, old musket in his arms.

He was dressed like an old mountain man, who came down from the peaks to the hill country to just look around, I guess. "Sure like yur coffee breed." "How did you know I was a half-breed ?" chewing away on the rabbits he had with him on the sipt. "I can smell a injun 3 miles away. Thought you whar white right off. Paw was a injun rat ?" "Dats rat." I said. "You been trackin' me fer a day now. Why ?" Without looking up from his raibbit. "Thought you maybe one of dem critters lookin fer da lost mine." I drank some of my coffee and asked, What mine? Anit cha scared of dem ghosts and spritis and stuff?"

"Naw, I aint. But it's mighty comfortin to know it's still there." I let it side pass cause I didn't want to work that hard. Sides, that would mean I'd be chained down..not free man. "I'm trackin a man wif a bullet wound in him. Have ya seen a man like dat ?" I asked. "A 44-40 wound in da kidney aera, backside ?" he asked, looking mad at me. "He and his partner jumped me some miles back last night. Been ridin' all night ." I said. "Say what dey wanted?" he asked me. "Nope." I responded.

He finsihed his coffee and rabbit and stepped up into his old saddle. "I'll keep a eye peeled fer a man like dat." "Much Obliged ." I replyed. I broke camp and picked up the man I wounded last night, his trail and it was leading right into Hanibel, Murssery.

Archived