SASS Wire Forum

Uniform Beauty Contest

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those fancy Uniforms Sure make for a good target... how about these form that period http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108108/

One of the few marginally practical uniforms of the era.

Those fancy Uniforms Sure make for a good target... how about these form that period http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108108/

yeah, but the firearms of the day were pretty darned inaccurate.

The idea of all the fancy is easy ID on the field. Different colors, different color facings, so you can tell the units. Different plumes to tell the NCOs from the ranks, and the junior officers from the senior.

The Baker Rifle they used had good accuracy out to 300 yards according to the sources I have read and quite a bit further in the hands of the best marksmen And the plumes made picking prime targets easier... in another 50 years the fancy stuff was about gone from the field and relegated to parade use think of the time it took to maintain that stuff I am surprised that an officer of the time could manage with just one batman :)

Nothing more impressive than Marine Corps Dress Blues... They have gotten more guys to enlist than anything.....

Straight from the comedy tour...

http://www.soberania.org/Images/idi_amin_dada.jpg

I wonder how he earned the medals? I guess it was good to be king.. at the time :blink:

I have heard that sort of costume (seems a slight stretch to call it a uniform :rolleyes: )described as "Tin Pot Dictator Polish Admiral Style" :lol:

I agree that the Marine Corps Dress Blues look great for contemporary uniforms.

Perhaps this Thread needs to be divided into time frames?

But then we would need to define the time frames as well.

How about (and of course each could be further separated into USA and all others) ( have divided these up in to batches where the changes in part were driven by mostly changes in weapon performance and combat doctrine as has been mentioned in this thread and then into arbitrary sections further back

Future and Science fiction

1990 to present, (perhaps with a subtype for fictional in each case)

1989 to 1960

1959 to 1948

1947 to 1930

1929 to 1890

1889 to 1860

1859 to 1830

1829 to 1790

1789 to 1700

1699 to 1500

1499 to 1000

999 to 1

0 to -999

-1000 to the distant past

I have heard that sort of costume (seems a slight stretch to call it a uniform :rolleyes: )described as "Tin Pot Dictator Polish Admiral Style" :lol:

I agree that the Marine Corps Dress Blues look great for contemporary uniforms.

Perhaps this Thread needs to be divided into time frames?

But then we would need to define the time frames as well.

How about (and of course each could be further separated into USA and all others) ( have divided these up in to batches where the changes in part were driven by mostly changes in weapon performance and combat doctrine as has been mentioned in this thread and then into arbitrary sections further back

Future and Science fiction

1990 to present, (perhaps with a subtype for fictional in each case)

1989 to 1960

1959 to 1948

1947 to 1930

1929 to 1890

1889 to 1860

1859 to 1830

1829 to 1790

1789 to 1700

1699 to 1500

1499 to 1000

999 to 1

0 to -1000

-999 to the distant past

[Origin of the USMC Dress Blues] to present?

Pre-Napoleanic stuff doesn't really interest me very much.

Archived