SASS Wire Forum

Guncart differences

Dantankerous

Are there any significant differences/advantages/disadvantages in a guncart with regard to the wood used; soft wood like pine vs a harder wood like oak? Durability, longevity, etc?

Are there any advantages to having the air up tires over a taller solid rubber wheel?

Thanks!

Pine is much lighter in weight than Oak, but dings up easier. I built my first one out of poplar. It's harder than pine but lighter than oak and it took stain well. I used inflatable wheels on that cart so I had to carry an air pump as part of my gear. On my current cart I have solid foam wheels which still go over rough ground well but don't need air. I've joined the baby stroller brigade and I don't miss my wood cart at all. I can't bring my self to sell it yet though. I spent too many hours and too much money building it.

My first cart was pine. It takes more pine to be strong, so the weight advantage is minimal. Oak is heavier than heck. The last cart is maple for the main rails and poplar for cross battons, and an open concept, (back is like a ladder) with lots of open space. It's feather light and looks good. I like pneumatic tires, they ride sofer which makes em easier on yer guns, less jarring and scratching, but if ya live in the south and have cockleburrs to contend with, yer gonna get flat tires.

After four incarnations I finally came up with what is, IMHO, the ideal guncart.

It's pine with solid wheels, has a central ammo/gear box and the gun butts rest in side wings.

The handle is shaped like a T and doubles as the barrel rest, and it has flip-up latches to hold everything in place.

It's lighweight, maneuverable, and the box doubles as a chair.

One of these days I'll post pix and have plans printed up.

Large solid tires are easier to move around. I used outdoor pressure treated lumber with the idea it would weather to a nice grey (over about 20 years) :wub: . However, the cart has served me well over the past three years. The design was from a series of articles in the Chronicle. Should be available from SASS archives or PM your email to me and I'll send you a copy.

--Ranger Dave

Don't make it too heavy! I made my first cart from red oak. It had everything, pneumatic tires, ammo box, place for a small cooler, held five guns, place to put empty brass and folded up so it would fit under the bed cover of my Avalanche. Looked really nice. Only problem, it took two men and a small boy to pick it up! After a year I sold it.

The next one I built from poplar. Much smaller and lighter, easy to move. Decided I didn't need all the gizmos, just a place for a rifle and shotgun. Small ammo box. Solid rubber tires. Sold it to a fellow Cowboy that liked it.

I now have the Rugged Gear three-gun cart. Not period correct but works great.

Keep it light and simple. I do like pneumatic tires over solid. You could use those wheelbarrow tires that don't go flat.

My first cart was a homebuilt affair starting with a "cheap" Home Depot, four wheel garden cart or wagon as a base. I cut that in half and welded it back together and put a steel cabinet on it with a rack for the long arms and locks for everything (read weight, more weight and even more weight!). The thing ended up being a tank and weighing a ton. On the ground it was OK but I no longer could lift it to my van or out of. Plan two was much more logical and involved an extensive search of the web. I ended up buying a Little Sky gun cart from CartRight Gun Carts. The wood used on the cart is a hard wood ply. Very durable and stain-able, and not too heavy. It also came with 16 inch spoked, solid rubber tires that have never let me down or got flat. The best thing about this cart is that it's held together by clips and pins so at the end of the shoot in just a couple of minutes the cart breaks down to a flat package of wood and tires that nest into a nylon carry case which packs easily into my van for transportation. I received some sad news not too long ago that the inventor and proprietor of the CartRight Gun Cart business had passed away. Also sad to hear was the news that his widow and children have chosen not to continue the business and will only be selling off existing inventory until it is all gone. Back to the OP I would have to say that a hard wood ply and solid tires are pretty hard to beat. Smithy.

Smithy that is sad news indeed that Big Sky Bob has ridden over the ridge. I sold my Big Sky once as it would not fit in the new Versa without breaking it down and bought a Little Sky. Missed the Big Sky so much I bought it back when the cowgirl I sold it to went to an RG. I leave the Big Sky at the range of my main club. Neither will ever be for sale again. Sad to hear there will be no more of the greatest gun carts of all time. RIP Bob.

Archived