SASS Wire Forum

.41 Long Colt

A friend of mine is going to acquire a .41 long colt. After a short search were could not find anyone who sold ammo for it. Do you know of anyone who sells ammo for this gun?

Thanks

Ranger

Ranger,

Buffalo Arms has 41LC in black and smokeless powders. It's pricey at $75 and $79 a box of 50. They also have dies, brass and bullets.

JD

In order to have shootable quantities of .41 Long Colt you have to be a hand loader and a die hard hand loader at that. There is and has been no commercially available ammo for years. The brass cannot be readily formed from any other case and the bullets are an odd size, i.e., .386. The .386 bullets have to be hollow based or you have to use a .401 healed bullet and both of these are very hard to obtain. Starline ran off a batch of brass a few years ago and it was very expensive. Almost $500.00 per thousand. That is one of the reasons the custom ammo offered by Buffalo Arms is so pricey. Starline has a note on their website that no more will be made until there are "sufficient orders." If your friend is buying the gun as a collector piece and just wants to fire a few rounds, the .41 is fun. However, if your friend is buying it with the intent of it being a shooter, he would be better served buying something else.

An answer to a question not asked is that by fitting a new cylinder a .41 Long Colt can be converted to 38-40. The bores are the same and no other modification is necessary. You could also rechamber to 38-40 but that would mess up collector value.

An answer to a question not asked is that by fitting a new cylinder a .41 Long Colt can be converted to 38-40. The bores are the same and no other modification is necessary. You could also rechamber to 38-40 but that would mess up collector value.

SOME .41s have the same bore size. Earlier barrels have a nominally .406-.408" groove diameter ("nominally", because they are all over the place- my Thunderer has a .411" groove diameter) for the .406-.408" (not .401") heeled bullet. Later guns (post-1895 or so), for the .386" bullet noted by Larsen, had the .401-.403" groove diameter barrel in common with the .38-40.

Don't know if it helps, a few years ago I bought some Argentine .41 Long Colt just to have with my old Army special. I could get the info off the box when I get home and PM ya if you're interested....don't know if any is available or not....

Ultramax lists .41 Long Colt on their website in their cowboy ammo section. My dad bought a box of their .41 LC at our local Cabelas a few years back but that caliber was not listed on the Cabelas website just now when I checked so it may have been a fluke or they may have stopped carrying it. I don't remember the price other than to say it was a good bit more expensive than the rest of the Ultramax line that was on the shelves.

According to their website, Ultramax does not sell direct to the public so you'd need a licensed retailer to order it. I have no idea if it's something they keep in stock or wait for sufficient demand before running a batch.

Doc Crumley

Archived