SASS Wire Forum

Non cas Russin ammo question

Will shooting the laquer coated Russin type ammo in a semi-automatic cause problems? I was looking at Herters ammo at Cabelas for shooting IDPA as it's cheap.

Thanks

I think it depends on the gun. I've shot quite a bit in my Colt and Springfield without any problems.

However the steel cases can be rough on extractors after awhile. Although it's pretty soft steel, I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of it.

I was worried about the laquer build up.

I've talked to a number of folks who use wolf ammo regularly. The lacquer buildup seems to come more from the sealer on the primer than the case. It's different stuff and has caused some problems in ARs. I've never noticed a trace of build up in the 1911s.

At new officer training for the SD GFP that was held at our range last year, the instructor and I spent almost as much time cleaning chambers and punching out split Herters cases as he did training.(so much for fixing lunch and refreshments) These were fairly new Glocks, but I tried a couple in my M&P, 2nd round split the case. If you want to practice malfunction drills I would use the Herters. In fact he saved some for this year just for that reason. They may have had a bad batch of cases, but I won't use it.

The steel cases are hard on extractors and ejectors. The laquer coating tends to build up in the chambers and it really has a dirty powder. Regardless of how it's packaged (Herter's, Wolf, etc...) it's all made at the same place on the same machines. It's just packaged differently. Accuracy is mediocre at best.

I have one friend that back in the 90s when mil surp ammo from the former USSR flooded the market got some Sub Machine gun ammo in 7.62 that a dealer told him was the same as .30 Mauser and broke parts in a nice old Bolo Broom-handle 7.63 1896 Mauser the brass by examination was showing all the signs like primer flow and loose or missing primers of very high pressure; so he was lucky that he was not hurt

Will shooting the laquer coated Russin type ammo in a semi-automatic cause problems? I was looking at Herters ammo at Cabelas for shooting IDPA as it's cheap.

Thanks

YES..It is terrible for your rifle, AR, AK, bolt ACTION, ANY KIND OF ACTION.....

Particularly in an AR 15 platform, the lacquer will MELT off in the chamber and barrel due to the high heat generated when firing...very difficult to clean it out and over time it will grossly affect accuracy and function(very hard on extractors,firing pins, most all 'action' parts of the rifle), and you will get a high certain percentage of split cases and squibs..It just doesn't pay to shoot cheap corrosive primed, lacquered cases instead of brass, and cheap powders used in the Russian and eastern Europe ammunition is the worst! .Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of excellent foreign produced ammo , especially in 7.62x39(the Privi Partizan 7.62x39 is excellent, but brass cased and non corrosive and reloadable)...But i would never shoot Brown Bear,Wolf,Tula, or any Russian 5.56(or any other caliber) with lacquered cases and corrosive primers in any gun, much less my custom AR's.I learned this the hard way..i shot about 750 rounds of Brown Bear Russian 5.56 in a full auto Colt AR 15 and wound up replacing the barrel.The chamber was just trashed..all due to the ammo.Other factors involved too in shooting cheap ammo, like number of rounds fired before cleaning,rate ot fire, cyclic rate, etc.

For inexpensive ammo for 5.56/.223, I recommend shooting nothing less than Federal American Eagle(inexpensive, but good quality), American Eagle Tactical(a step up) or PMC or bascially any name brand quality .223 with brass cases, FMJ, and non corrosive primers...simple rule to follow: if it comes with a warning that 'this ammo can not be reloaded',or corrosive primers, stay away from it...

The absolute best .223/5.56 is the Lake City 55 grain...for normal, range and sport shooting...there are obviously more expensive,high quality specialized .223 for bench rest, precision target shoooting and hunting.

But the cheap .223 produced in Russia is the world's worst ammo, IMHO. I shoot a lot of .223 and 7.62x39.

Archived