SASS Wire Forum

Morgan Silver Dollar

I don't want to disappoint you, but I think you've been mislead about the price of Morgan silver dollars. I just sold 15 of them at a coin show for $10.00 a pieace. I had to bargin to get that much. I hope I wasn't taken. Be my luck...

I don't want to disappoint you, but I think you've been mislead about the price of Morgan silver dollars. I just sold 15 of them at a coin show for $10.00 a pieace. I had to bargin to get that much. I hope I wasn't taken. Be my luck...

It would have paid off to do a little homework before selling coins like that. Melt value was $22 just a month ago, now at $32. Dimes, Quarters, Half dollars are at 30 times face value. Somebody at the show wasn't telling you the truth and made out with your $$$. Condition of the coins were probably better than melt value. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Sorry Capt Hawke, but it does sound like you were taken. I haven't seen a Morgan Silver dollar for sale at $10 in probably 10 years, and those were for 1921's or really worn down coins. Like Big Jake said, the melt value far exceeds what you sold your coins for.

Hmm...that buyer wants a bargin on valuable metal... I'd revisit that show and "throw" him some lead for free :angry:

I was actually just reviewing some Kennedy Half dollars, silver quarters and dimes as well. I have hardly any, but was just curious. Turns out that only the dimes have a higher numismatic value, than melted value - obviously that's the weight playing a factor.

I checked at the coin dealer just down the street and he is willing to give 13.00 each for my 1963 Kennedy half dollars. I only have 8 of them but that is certainly more than face value. That's 104.00 and I'm only into them for 4 bucks, sounds like a deal to me.

Springfield Slim.

The price you were offered isn't bad, but you should be able to find a better deal. Current silver spot price on Kitco.com is $47.88. There are 31 grams in an ounce. 47.88/31 grams = $1.54 per gram. A dollar of US coin made before 1964, it doesn't matter if it is dimes, quarters, halves, or dollars they all amount to the same weight which is ruffly 25 grams of silver per dollar. So the silver value right now per dollar face value is 25 grams x 1.54= 38.61 per dollar, or 19.30 per half dollar. Hope this helps you to know the value of your coins.

Springfield Slim. You might want to check your dates a little closer. Kennedy was shot Nov. 22nd 1963 so the first Kennedy full silver half dollar was dated 1964. All half dollars dated 1965 through 1970 were 40% silver and are worth $7 in melt value. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Guest jeweler jim

I put this up here before and was taken to task for inferring that "Graded Morgans" were worth melt value, which they ain't.

But if you check here you can get current melt value...

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

Silver has gone nuts and by the time you read this I'm thinking it will possibly have broken forty nine or fifty dollars at which point there might be a correction, small sell off and then followed by another run past fifty.

Now on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150596544405&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I would also like to add there is much more to coins than what their melt value is. Any coin collector can tell you so.

Now on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150596544405&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

I would also like to add there is much more to coins than what their melt value is. Any coin collector can tell you so.

Shshh...let them sell theirs off for melting. That will make ours more scarce, after silver prices drop and there are no silver coins left :)

Someone should take it soon, the spot silver price was at $49.50 for a while today, now down to $48.50. Good luck with your sale.

I have been watching the silver prices for a while now. I have some to sell off to a collector or for melt value. Would also consider trading some for a gun or two. A 1897 shotgun would be a welcome addition to my cowboy guns.

Anyway, silver prices are climbing and you should be able to do well with your sale. Here is another bump to get a few more views for you.

Archived