SASS Wire Forum

reload 45 acp

charlie two feathers

I have some lead round nose,measures .452. Question is can this be safely reloaded for 45acp? I have seen in loading data it should be .451. I measured jacketed bullets and they are .452. any advice would be appreciated thanks

One thousandth - particularly on a lead (i.e., non-jacketed) bullet - should not make an appreciable difference difference in your load, especially if your're working on the lower end of the pressure spectrum.

Regards, TJH

Sure, 0.452 inch is the correct diameter for lead slugs for most .45 auto loading. Seating depth should be found in any good loading manual. If you don't find it though, pick up a box of .45 ball (full metal jacketed) ammo and duplicate the OAL (assuming your round ball has close to the same profile as the FMJ you bought). Taper crimp so that you end up with the mouth outside diameter at .472 or so (this makes the belled mouth needed for seating a lead slug back into a straight case wall). You do not need to "bury" the case mouth into the lead slug with a super-tight crimp.

Believe you either mis-remembered, or you were looking at pretty poor quality loading data if it recommended a .451 diameter lead slug. Many jacketed slugs are made to .451 since manufacturers assume you will be shooting them with higher pressures.

Good luck, GJ

I have been reloading 45 ACP with my 200 grain RNFP for 2 years now, I use these in my combat matches, found out they would work since I didn't want to buy any more bullets, they work good in all my 1911's

All for now JD Trampas

P.S. had to experiment with OAL to get them to work good in the four 1911's

I load 200gr. RNFP in my 1911 for wild bunch and 45 long colt and are 452 dia. No problems

I was going to buy some new lead bullets at the last gun show, but alas, the dealer wasn't there this time. So, his loss is my gain. Old Top and I discussed it and I decided to go ahead and load up some 45acp with my 205gr rnfp Bearcreeks. Loaded up real nice. chambers good...I loaded up several test rounds for next time out.

Will report back,but seems to work fine.

curley

Archived