SASS Wire Forum

Internet Kill Switch

G. P. Cobb

Where to post this? Obama is to be thinking about a activating U.S. Internet Kill Switch like was accomplished in Egypt. Now I know we aren't supposed to post political. But may I suggest you research this. If he pulls the switch, there is no more SASS wire.

I'll reseaarch it if you'll give us your source.

I haven't been able to find anything yet....except this..

http://www.prisonplanet.com/new-bill-gives-obama-kill-switch-to-shut-down-the-internet.html

Charlie

It appears as though the 1934 law that created or authorized the FCC may actually provide enough control to do the same thing already.

But they all depend upon the declaration of war/national emergency to accomplish this control.

Liebermans attempt at this bill started in June 2010 and there was efforts earlier.

Of course Microsoft, verizon and some other companies have good things to say, always make me suspicious about any bill.

Microsoft being a monopolistic predatory company would like to have dictatorial rules in place.

They want their part of the power.

This is possible in theory, however since the ISPs in America are independently owned and not part of a government entity as they are in Egypt he would have to get the cooperation of all of them to shut down the internet. It is not something that I can see ever happening.

As usual, it has a basis in fact, but then the conspiracy theory folks get ahold of it. :rolleyes: First off, it is impossible to throw a switch and kill the Internet in the USA. Secondly, the proposed law, sponsored by an Independent and a Republican, refers to the government infrastucture. They want to be able to shut down vital government computers should a massive cyberattack occur. Too many black helicopters flying around... :rolleyes:

Under what set of laws does he think he can or could get away with that?

he may think about a lot of things....

but what can he really do?

The same set of laws he is using to ignore a federal courts ruling and order to immediately stop enforcement and implementation of the national health care law....

His own...

JJJ-D

:ph34r::ph34r:

Interesting, you gotta wonder what the US got in the bargain. In practical terms, as long as the UK can move them and launch them, it wouldn't seem to matter whether the size of their arsenal is known. What matters is they have more than enough to overwhelm any opponent and destroy the planet too, which is the whole point of nuclear deterrence.

My 2 cents

My link is P poor, they are wanting money. What I'm concerned about is the possibility

I'll reseaarch it if you'll give us your source.

I haven't been able to find anything yet....except this..

http://www.prisonpla...e-internet.html

Charlie

Archived