SASS Wire Forum

Ammo from the past

spittoon otool

Last night I was rummaging through my accumulated cowboy stuff and I found two boxes of .45 ammo, the loads that I had been using back in 2005. Two beers later I thought it would be cool to take this ammo and the guns I used to shoot with back then and have myself an "old school" match. Purely personal, nobody will notice a thing, cept me...nostalgia. All I have to do is dust off the Bisley's and Marlin and wait until March! Got to run, beer thirty.

Spittoon

I do the same thing on occasion too. I'm in a job transition and guns are stored at my parents' farm. Occasionally I'll go down there, pull out the Vaqueros and a box of fully stoked 44 Extra Long Russians, head to the creek, and let them roar! Nobody around but me and Mother Nature, but we sure have a good time together.

I'm curious. What's the main difference in the 2005 loads and the ones you use now?

I haven't really changed sine 2001.

I'm curious. What's the main difference in the 2005 loads and the ones you use now?

I haven't really changed sine 2001.

Hi UB,

These days the only time I shoot .45 is for black powder via a pair of Ruger Vaqueros. For smokeless I switched to .38's. Plus I switched from Ruger Bisleys and Marlin to NM Vaquero and a 73. These old loads are pretty hot 200gr smokeless and I'll probably be shocked that I can actually see the target after the first shot!

Spittoon

Last night I was rummaging through my accumulated cowboy stuff and I found two boxes of .45 ammo, the loads that I had been using back in 2005. Two beers later I thought it would be cool to take this ammo and the guns I used to shoot with back then and have myself an "old school" match. Purely personal, nobody will notice a thing, cept me...nostalgia. All I have to do is dust off the Bisley's and Marlin and wait until March! Got to run, beer thirty.

Spittoon

Sounds like fun

Last match of the year in the Fall I decided to clean out some old ammo. My rifles are set up for C45S, and I ran my 2010 rifle load, a 160 at maybe 700 fps out of the rifles. For the pistols I grabbed up some 2004 vintage LONG Colt loads, 250s at 800 fps. But I also had a brand new .36 cal C&B gun to air out for a stage or two, so one gun was BP .36 C&B, the other 250s at 800 fps.(smokeless), and mouse loads in the rifle...... It was a hoot.

When I started in SASS I bought a pair of old model Rugers, a Stoeger SxS, and a Yellowboy. Rifles and pistols were in 45 Colt. As time went on I settled on a pair of Great Western IIs and a '73 both in 38/357. Eventually my wife started shooting and ended up with the '73. I got tired of trying to shoot with the GWs in 38 and the Yellowboy in 45, so I went to the two OMVs I started with. Boy did I get a suprise. I have shot my fastest matches ever with the guns I started out with. Go figure.

Regards,

Cherokee Gambler

I thought Ya All meant OLe loads ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Like the ones I shot fer testing of presures and veloicities ...... Made from 1875 - 1919 ...

Those loads would open yer eyes ,,,,, .38-40s and .45 colts ( yes colts they say not .45 Colt)....

Black and smokeless they all clock over 1,000 Fps out of 1st. gen guns with 7 1/2 inch barrels ....

Jabez Cowboy

I thought Ya All meant OLe loads ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Like the ones I shot fer testing of presures and veloicities ...... Made from 1875 - 1919 ...

Those loads would open yer eyes ,,,,, .38-40s and .45 colts ( yes colts they say not .45 Colt)....

Black and smokeless they all clock over 1,000 Fps out of 1st. gen guns with 7 1/2 inch barrels ....

Jabez Cowboy

F'in A Jabez, that would be so cool to shoot a .45 made back in 1875! That would be like opening up a 136 year old bottle of Scotch, mixing it with Coke, and chugging it down then getting behind the wheel! Got any more, send me one!

Spittoon

Archived