SASS Wire Forum

Kirkpatrick Idaho John Rig- Opinions?

Buckshot Frank

From my cheap holster thread, a pard here offered to sell me a used Kirkpatrick Idaho John rig. The price is right (compared to the retail price, at least), but I don't know much about this style rig. From researching on the web, it sounds like it was designed to be used with both pistols in front of the body (two crossdraw holsters). Just playing around with a pistol, it seems like this is a pretty comfortable draw. I was planning on getting two strong side holsters to avoid having to "do the crossdraw dance", but I guess that I can learn either way. This will be my first rig, so I don't have any ingrained muscle memory to overcome.

Does anybody have any experience with the Idaho John rig?

Guest diablo slim shootist

some top shooters use holsters set up with 2 30 degree holsters it can be faster than

strait up in the right hands. i have shot both ways -if cross draw does not work out for you

you might purchase another left side holster if they make one and still come out ahead :FlagAm:

i may do that for my El Paso speed rig-$150 for another holster

Buckshot,

Unless you are of the "Large Economy Size" and cannot wear a cross draw in front, the "Idaho John" rig is excellent. As long as you can safely draw and return with a cross draw and not break the 170, the "dance" is not a requirement. That said, the cross draw with the weak side holster pulled 'round front to the Belt Buckle, works really well. If well bought, go for it. Adding a second "strong side" holster later won't break the bank should you decide you don't like the cross draw.

The majority of CAS shooters who shot strong side only do it with a cross draw. The majority of those shooters, pull the crossing holster 'round to the belt buckle. You only need to space the holsters two hand widths apart.

Coffinmaker

That is the first belt set I bought when I started...The Idaho John is a crossdraw and a straight (not two crossdraws).....It is an excellent choice............my only complaint (this goes for nearly all holsters) is that they loose their shape and rentention after a couple of years use........I started with that set.....then went to Kirkpatrick's Evil Roy which was lined with kydex to make it stiff........when I wore that set out I bought the Mernickle Evil Roys in with a cross draw, they are steel lined.........

That's a good choice (anything Kirkpatrick is quality stuff)...........

That is the first belt set I bought when I started...The Idaho John is a crossdraw and a straight (not two crossdraws).....It is an excellent choice............my only complaint (this goes for nearly all holsters) is that they loose their shape and rentention after a couple of years use........I started with that set.....then went to Kirkpatrick's Evil Roy which was lined with kydex to make it stiff........when I wore that set out I bought the Mernickle Evil Roys in with a cross draw, they are steel lined.........

That's a good choice (anything Kirkpatrick is quality stuff)...........

Yeah sorry- I guess two crossdraws would be both pistols butt forward. I meant that both holsters appear to have the same forward cant.

How could I tell if it is worn out (won't be able to see it in person before buying)? Would a well-worn Kirkpatrick be better than a brand new Triple K (or other inexpensive brand) rig?

Guest diablo slim shootist
Yeah sorry- I guess two crossdraws would be both pistols butt forward. I meant that both holsters appear to have the same forward cant.

How could I tell if it is worn out (won't be able to see it in person before buying)? Would a well-worn Kirkpatrick be better than a brand new Triple K (or other inexpensive brand) rig?

there is broke in and worn out! im sure what you are looking out will be broke in :FlagAm:

Yes the Kirkpatick would be better than Triple K or any other cheap rig, I started with the Triple K and used it for 4 years, now have a rig built by a local guy, it is hands down better than the Triple K, the Triple K sits on a hook, still works good, just like the other rig I had built better

All for now JD Trampas

From my cheap holster thread, a pard here offered to sell me a used Kirkpatrick Idaho John rig. The price is right (compared to the retail price, at least), but I don't know much about this style rig. From researching on the web, it sounds like it was designed to be used with both pistols in front of the body (two crossdraw holsters). Just playing around with a pistol, it seems like this is a pretty comfortable draw. I was planning on getting two strong side holsters to avoid having to "do the crossdraw dance", but I guess that I can learn either way. This will be my first rig, so I don't have any ingrained muscle memory to overcome.

Does anybody have any experience with the Idaho John rig?

I've got about 8 years of experience with the "Idaho John" rig. First holster set I bought and still goin' strong! The flared entry to the holsters are still as stiff as on day 1. Sometimes I think about gettin' something new but really don't need to as this rig just won't quit! I do stuff them with heavy paper wads (1 down deep & 1 up top) when I put em' away and I don't pile stuff on top of them when putting back in the incidentals bin. The cartridge loops on the holsters works great for a fast weak-hand rifle re-load.

Well, I sure don't know how ole Chis wore out that Kirkpatrick ER rig. He must really be hard on equipment. Mine is still going strong after a decade or so, and shows no signs of ever wearing out. I didn't think you could wear out a Kirkpatrick rig.

I would jump on that Idaho John rig like a duck on a June bug and never look back. You will have a more harmonious outcome than buying cheap leather.

I would jump on that Idaho John rig like a duck on a June bug and never look back. You will have a more harmonious outcome than buying cheap leather.

Most definitely go for it as soon as you can if you haven't already done so. Kirkpatrick is quality stuff and shouldn't be overlooked when a deal comes along. Smithy.

A good holster like the Kirkpatrick that has an internal Kydex or metal liner can and will show some scuffing or even cutting of the leather at the throat eventually. Since the leading edge of the cylinder hits the taper in the same spot everytime and that spot is stiff with the liner, it only mkes since. It is a trade off and as far as the leather is concerned, it has natural resiliance that will help for a long while IF you do not use guns with cylinder edges sharper then edge scrapers. Contour those sharp edges on some pistols and you shouldnt have to worry about it until you are practicing enough to get a holster style named after you by Kirkpatrick or Mernickle!!!

Archived