SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Shooting Bullet Weight

Celilo

I am casting 525 gr bullets and weighing them to throw out the light and heavy ones. The vast majority of them fall within 2 gr high and 2 gr low. 523 to 527. I seperate them into two groups, 523 - 525 and 526- 527. Is this necessary or are they close enough to mix. I'm loading them for a 45 - 2 4/10 or 45-90. Shooting at 100 yds to 300 yds. The lead mix is 4 lb wheel weights and 1 lb pure lead. The last ones were straight wheel weights. I'm not looking for any loading info, just want opinions on how much differance 2 to 5 gr will make.

Consistent bullet weight is important for especially long range targets. 100 to 300 yd's isn't to far out there.

If you separate the bullets by weight and then then load groups of bullet she same weight, your accuracy will stay on target. So 523 to to 525 as a group would work as a group of bullets loaded and identified for a group of rounds to be shot. But loading all of the mixed weights together will give you inconsistent groups. But then again powder consistency, case length, and using brass made by the same manufacturer also effects consistency.

IKe

I load my .40-90SBN with 350, 370 & 410 grain pills. For plinkin' and 100-300 yard shootin' I don't care, lube/size and load. For long range and/or target work, I won't load boolits that vary more'n ½ grain. That's a ¼ grain up or down from my target weight. Just wished I could shoot as well as the rifle and load! :lol:

Thanks. I will use them in two groups at 100 - 300. I will try casting longer ranges to 1/2 gr. I think I'm a little hot at 725. All starline brass, used about the same number of times. Having fun with my new Shiloh Sharps after close to three years waiting.

I sort bullets into .5 grain groups, put 'em in baggies, and shoot 'em in order.

Sir, if you will permit me, that's a mighty hard alloy your using. I use pure lead with only enough tin to fill out the mold. This turns out to be somewhere between 30 to 1 and 40 to 1 Lead/Tin.

Wheel weights, and other scrap, work well in my cowboy gunz. But, the Badger barrel only sees known, soft alloy. It likes it that way.

Enjoy your Sharps.

Archived