SASS Wire Forum

Taurus Gaucho question

Rube Burrows

A couple years ago my dad was wanting to get into SASS but never did. He purchased a Taurus Gaucho in polished stainless with the 7.5" barrel. The caliber is .357/.38. It was only shot 6 times exactly and put back in the safe. Well....he never got into SASS and the other day he gave it to me to try to sell for him. I looked around online and they seem to be discontinued. What would be a fair asking price for this gun in like new condition with the box if I was to list it locally?

When they being closed out I think most vendors were trying to unload them for around $275. That said, with their reputation for failure and Taurus' lousy customer service it might be a hard sell at any price.

I had two of them. Worst guns I have ever owned. Both went out of time after about 20 shots, had light primer hits, and Taurus never did make them right even after seven months of screwing around with them. And I had to pay shipping. They sent one back that failed after four shots, and replaced the other with a gun that was no better than the lemon I had returned. Their lifetime warranty isn't worth a plate of cold beans. Traded 'em off at a big loss, but was glad to be rid of the things.

I'd ask $250, and I'd make sure I sold it to someone of an even temperment that I would never see again.

When they being closed out I think most vendors were trying to unload them for around $275. That said, with their reputation for failure and Taurus' lousy customer service it might be a hard sell at any price.

I had two of them. Worst guns I have ever owned. Both went out of time after about 20 shots, had light primer hits, and Taurus never did make them right even after seven months of screwing around with them. And I had to pay shipping. They sent one back that failed after four shots, and replaced the other with a gun that was no better than the lemon I had returned. Their lifetime warranty isn't worth a plate of cold beans. Traded 'em off at a big loss, but was glad to be rid of the things.

I'd ask $250, and I'd make sure I sold it to someone of an even temperment that I would never see again.

Wow....I didnt know the problems with them. I will prob. just give it back to him and let him keep it. I dont think he will want to let it go for that. I told him to buy a Ruger....which he did for his second gun. Thanks for the info.

I think the later ones were the ones with problems.I had 2 in 38/357 that a friend of mine used for 3 seasons of shooting and had ZERO problems with either of them.I bought a 3rd one for a backup after the 1st season and used it for quite a few shoots just to see how or if I liked it.No problems with that either,so it stayed as a backup to the other 2 my friend was using.When my friend moved away from here I ended up selling all 3 as I have 4 other guns I like to shoot instead.1 colt clone(style wise) 1 1875 Remington and 2 open tops.Some people have had problems with these pistols but like I said,I think it was the later ones not the early models.No troubles with any of the 3 I had.I'd guess the $250-300 range if it's an early model run gun.

I think the later ones were the ones with problems.I had 2 in 38/357 that a friend of mine used for 3 seasons of shooting and had ZERO problems with either of them.I bought a 3rd one for a backup after the 1st season and used it for quite a few shoots just to see how or if I liked it.No problems with that either,so it stayed as a backup to the other 2 my friend was using.When my friend moved away from here I ended up selling all 3 as I have 4 other guns I like to shoot instead.1 colt clone(style wise) 1 1875 Remington and 2 open tops.Some people have had problems with these pistols but like I said,I think it was the later ones not the early models.No troubles with any of the 3 I had.I'd guess the $250-300 range if it's an early model run gun.

How could I tell if it was early or not?

Here are a couple on Gunbroker to keep an eye on to see how they fare. There wasn't a stainless one in the same configuration as you have, but this might help increase your knowledge regarding the value. Since you would be selling the gun locally, be sure to add the shipping and transfer fees to the final bid to get an idea of the face-to-face value.

.357 Blued with 7.5" barrel

.45 Stainless with 7.5" barrel.

I've seen Gauchos give people fits...but then I have a friend who owns a pair that shoots without any problems.

Good luck!

The Taurus was sent from the factory with a light hammer on purpose so as to be as light as the better guns. Some were sent out with too light a hammer fall and had problems. I bought two from CDNN that were great guns in 45 Colt. They were timed perfect and very smooth. I loved shooting them and hated when I sold them. I would still have mine if not for the USFA's. If your gun shoots well then it will give good service.

I have a pair in SS .357 that I have been shooting as my main match revolvers for almost 5 years now with narry a problem. One has slightly too deep thread for the trigger set screw so I hafta keep locktite on it.

One lost its cylinder bushing a few months back (not supposed ta come out) and I had ta send it back to Taurus to replace. The clearance is way too small and it locks up tight after about 15 rounds through it. A local gunsmith is gonna mill down the bushing face a bit to get some clearance back.

Other than that they have been very dependable...

I paid $350 each new...

JJJ-D

:P:rolleyes:

Thanks, he paid a bit more than the 350.00 but around us there are not many Cowboy guns.....and I think he jumped on this one before thinking about it.

Hey Rube,

I had a pair I bought new over 4 years ago in .38/.357. One broke after about 200 rounds & the other seemed to function fine. Got the same aggravating customer service from Taurus & long wait time to get it fixed after I had to pay for high price shipping to them. Got it back after long wait & it did not function any better than it did before it broke. I got rid of them. At a loss of course. Buy once, cry once!!

One SASS buddy of mine who shoots at local club has one SS .45LC w/ 7.5" barrel & has had no problem.

I hope you get a fair price for your dad's. You could always go a little higher in asking price w/ buffer to come down to price you would be OK with.

Good Luck.

TAKE CARE,

Red Leg Russ

Hey Rube,

I had a pair I bought new over 4 years ago in .38/.357. One broke after about 200 rounds & the other seemed to function fine. Got the same aggravating customer service from Taurus & long wait time to get it fixed after I had to pay for high price shipping to them. Got it back after long wait & it did not function any better than it did before it broke. I got rid of them. At a loss of course. Buy once, cry once!!

One SASS buddy of mine who shoots at local club has one SS .45LC w/ 7.5" barrel & has had no problem.

I hope you get a fair price for your dad's. You could always go a little higher in asking price w/ buffer to come down to price you would be OK with.

Good Luck.

TAKE CARE,

Red Leg Russ

Thanks. I posted it locally. We will see what happens. Not sure. I def dont want to stick someone with something that will break. He has not shot it enough to know really. Only 6 rounds through it.

Archived