SASS Wire Forum

Firing Pins for 1860 R-M Army Conversions

Asa Smith

I dug my 1860 Army conversions out and shot them, hadn't done that in years.

I was reminded of the issue i encountered the first time i shot them. The firing pins are sharp and puncture the primers making them hard to  cock on followup shots.

(Tried different primers, same issue on all).

My original has much wider pins that are more rounded.

Question: Does anyone have a source for replacement pins?

Or is there good info out there (Youtube or otherwise) on smoothing off the pins to prevent this from happening?

Any useful information appreciated.

Thanks

Asa

Couple of easy strokes of a file and some 220 grit Wet/Dry to smooth up should solve the problem easily.  There are NO after-market firing pins available I am aware of.  Only genuine Uberti parts.

You might also try reducing the Main Spring.  The OEM Main Spring is way too heavy.

• Like 2

I just took a fine file to mine and rounded the sharp corners.

1 minute ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Couple of easy strokes of a file and some 220 grit Wet/Dry to smooth up should solve the problem easily.  There are NO after-market firing pins available I am aware of.  Only genuine Uberti parts.

You might also try reducing the Main Spring.  The OEM Main Spring is way too heavy.

Pretty much what I have done on several of mine.   Just took a fine file and rounded the sharp corners, and I use lighter springs as well.  I use Federal primers, and no more piercing for years now.  One of mine, about 20 years ago a " 'smith " took a dremel to the tip and it was okay for about 10 years then started having misfires and had to replace it.

• Like 1