SASS Wire Forum

Siege of Louisbourg (1758)

Some of this old Imperial French Fort has been reconstructed and is a living historical site, well worth a visit if you are in Eastern Canada/ Nova Scotia.

The site has many re-enactors and docents , in period dress to add to the ambiance and feel of the real Fort, prior to it's destruction.

A visit there has always been a highlight for my family. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

if i ever get out that way ill take it in , i love this kind of history - we have some here as well up on the north shore that would be of similar era - the fur traders les voyagers , period  

• Like 2

Even the restaurant in the Fort is period correct: meals etc.

The first time we toured it, we stopped to have lunch and my son, (Big Red) tried to order French Frys. The costumed waitress, in character, asked what they were, to which Ian replied potatoes....

Before he could continue she gave a horrified look and exclaimed "Potatoes?" They're poisonous!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i love it , my kinda place - not cause they think potatoes poisonous but because they have that real sense of time , much of that is lost today --gatta love these things and wearing spats at a real/old speakeasy type place or dancing in a hanger dance [my brother and his wife enjoyed that when i invited them , drove a few hundred miles to experience it] sso many things we haveto enjoy in our country - i dont ever need to leave it again , 

• Like 1