SASS Wire Forum

WTB - Trying to get a Grip (actually a pair of grips)

Ozark Okie

I'm trying to find a match to an extra pair of grips included with my recent purchase of two birdshead Single Six 32s. The guns came with black micatra grips mounted.  As the pictures show, the ones I'm trying to match are plain white "ivory" (plastic) with an engraved design. Also note the blind escutcheon. The seller bought this pair at a gun show a few years back and we do not know how to find another pair. I have scoured the internet with no success.

Have any pards seen this design? From the shape of it, I'd say its unique to the birdsheads style, and may be a one of a kind custom. There do not seem to be any marks on the backside.

As always, I will appreciate any comments, considerations, suggestions that might help me find a matching pair or a custom grip maker who could duplicate the design. 

I may also consider plain white, but I do like this design. The lines of the engraving seem to really suit the gun. 

Thanks, 

Ozark Okie

20231223_172236.jpg

20231223_172216.jpg

20231223_171846.jpg

Has the look of scrimshaw to me. Do you know any horners? They do that fancy stuff on powder horns. Maybe @Cholla could point you towards one. Then just get another set of plain white grips to have scrimshawed. Also, possibly check with Tazz @ Klassic Laser Works, he may be able to laser it with a good quality picture. Not sure though with those fine lines. Good Luck

• Like 1

I have not kept in contact with any artists. You might try going to local 19th-century historical events and asking who does it in your area. It's not that hard to do what has been done to the grips. You carefully scratch a line with a study pin, then smear ink in it. Repeat until you have the pattern you want. I have also known artists who made patterns with dots, lots of dots. This site has a few links to artists.  https://www.scrimshaw.com/scrimshaw-artists/

Eyesa and Cholla, thank you for the information. For some reason, my mind had just not registered scrimshaw. I am somewhat familiar with the art and even scratched a design into a powder horn at one time. Clearly this is scrimshaw; the scratches are visible and actually not that well done when viewed with magnification.  

I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction, will start looking for a scrimshaw artist. 

All the best to you, hope 2024 is your best year yet! 

OO

• Like 2

Sent you a PM, Willi. Has my phone number and email.

Thanks.

OO

Willi, those are what I need. Now we know there are at least two pairs.

I want them if you want to part with them. PM or call me with what you are thinking.

OO

• 2 weeks later...

This note is to give a public thank you to Wild Willi. 

Thanks to that kind gentleman I now have matching scrimshaw grips on my single sixes. 

We both thought we had a one of a kind pair.

Obviously they go back a few years (maybe 15 years?), and I'm sure curious about who did them and if he/she did others.

This forum is a great resource and the folks on it are a great bunch.   

Ozark Okie 

• Like 2