SASS Wire Forum

1903 Oldsmobile Doctors Coupe

Subdeacon Joe

Those were elegant little cars!!

DARN YOU ALPO!!!   :P

It kept niggling at me so I had to look it up.

This example seems to be a one off prototype that never went into production.  It's based on the 1903 Curved Dash Olds.  First production "Doctors Coupe" was the 1906 Cadillac Mod. H

image.jpeg.a92d99c67db621b920a84f697d8f591c.jpeg

"Doctors Coupe," a term which predates production automobiles, was a single seat, enclosed cab, with a box/trunk to hold extra gear a doctor might need, stuff that wouldn't fit into his black bag.

It's always nice to learn something new.

See my understanding was that Ransom E. Olds owned a car company. REO. And after a while he sold it. Got out of the car business. Was going to do something else. But a couple years later he started a car company again. Oldsmobile.

But if this was true, then there couldn't be a 1903 Oldsmobile because that's too early.

Research time. I had it backwards. Mr Olds had the Olds Motorcar Company. And he sold it. Year or so later started a new company. The R. E. Olds Motorcar Company. And the people that he had sold Olds to complained. They said that there was a real good chance that somebody that went out with the intent to buy an Olds Motorcar would accidentally end up buying a R. E. Olds Motorcar. They threatened to sue. So Mr Olds dropped the word Olds from his new company, and just used all three initials - REO. And people, being what they are, started referring to the Olds Motorcar as the Oldsmobile, so the Olds Motorcar Company changed their name.

Somehow I can't see the Chevrolet Motorcar Company changing their name to the Chevy Motorcar Company, but maybe they're a different type of people at Chevy.

And no matter what rock and roll bands would have you believe, they did not use the initials. It was pronounced like the Spanish word for River - Rio. It was the Rio Speedwagon, not the REO Speedwagon.

Archived