SASS Wire Forum

Head above the Parapet

Major Crimes

I know I am going to regret this, but here goes.

If the long gun is the last firearm used, it must be cleared prior to it leaving the shooter’s hand(s) at the unloading area. (SHB page 17 & SHB page 16). There are some exemptions but let's go with this as the scenario.

Two questions:

1. I couldn't find a specific penalty in the SHB at the two locations above (so long as it is clear and open, and assuming I put it down and went back to pick up the SG), I could be missing something?

2. This seems a little counter intuitive (I got a Thesaurus for my birthday), I can shoot the rifle dry (I can't count to ten) and put it down clear and open when I am moving to another string (say SG) and then at the completion of the travesty I call a stage I go back pick up my rifle and drag my sorry tail to the ULT to the sound of laughter from my pose. However, if the rifle is last, I can't put it down (clear and open) go back pick up my SG and then pick up the rifle on my way thru to the ULT (still laughter in the background).

I am sure there is a reason for this, but I can't see it, please feel free to point out the obvious I have missed.

If both are clear (empty) with actions open, then as far as I know there aren't any rules against which you put down to pick up first or last, as long as they are handled in a safe manner (no breaking the 170).

Sounds like your pards are having an extra giggle at your expense. ^_^

2 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

However, if the rifle is last, I can't put it down (clear and open) go back pick up my SG and then pick up the rifle on my way thru to the ULT...

YES, you can.

It appears someone may be confusing "cleared" (as defined) with being verified as clear by the ULTO?

Cleared – no live or empty cases in or on the chamber, magazine, action, or carrier.

SHB p.42

REF also: Safety & Handling Conventions – Rifles (SHB pp.14-15).

10 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

It appears someone may be confusing "cleared" (as defined) with being verified as clear by the ULTO?

Cleared – no live or empty cases in or on the chamber, magazine, action, or carrier.

SHB p.42

REF also: Safety & Handling Conventions – Rifles (SHB pp.14-15).

Thanks PWB,

I knew the answers were out there.

I didn't think it made sense, thanks for the edumecation. 

Oh, and it wasn't me, it was a discussion about a shoot elsewhere where a member was given a MSV for this and it just didn't gel with me.

The section you reference applies to "Long guns" not just rifles and it specifies when you can correct a MSV: "On the clock prior to the next gun being fired" and specifies when the penalty cannot be corrected: "If the long gun is the last firearm used, it must be cleared prior to it leaving

the shooter’s hand(s) at the unloading area"

Example1: Shooter finishes the stage with M97 pump shotgun, grabs the rifle and moves to the unloading table. At the unloading table shooter places both long guns on the table, then picks up the shotgun, the ULTO sees an empty hull in the chamber, shooter earns a MSV.

Example2: Shooter finishes the stage with M97 pump shotgun, grabs the rifle and moves to the unloading table. At the unloading table shooter places the rifle on the table and shows the 97 to the ULTO, ULTO sees the hull and instructs the shooter to clear it. No call because the gun never left the shooters hands.

Same applies if the rifle was shot last, although that is very rare which is why if an expended cartridge is found in a rifle at the ULT it's a MSV because it has already left the shooters hands during the stage and was not corrected on the clock.

Archived