SASS Wire Forum

Great Training Advice

Marauder SASS #13056

I got this from the website

https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/training/articles/training-at-the-speed-of-a-fight-He1uwpDYM5bco9VU/

Speed and accuracy

We have all heard the phrases, “Slow is smooth, smooth is fast," and “Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." First of all, slow is just slow. And when it comes to speed and accuracy, who was the authority who determined they needed to be separate?

Many instructors associate being slow with being deliberate in their actions. This is baloney. We can be very deliberate in our actions very quickly if we train to be deliberate and fast. Having a good draw and presentation from the holster, seeing the sights, pressing the trigger, reacquiring the sights and doing each of these fast takes practice training at that speed. Training should help students develop an understanding of when they can be quick, when to be certain, and how to minimize recoil and unwanted movement of the gun.

"First of all, slow is just slow"  That is one of the very first and still one of the best pieces of advice I've ever been given in the game.  Believe it or not it came from the one and only Creeker.  (Please don't ever tell him I said that.  He's already insufferable. :blink: )

5 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

"First of all, slow is just slow"  That is one of the very first and still one of the best pieces of advice I've ever been given in the game.  Believe it or not it came from the one and only Creeker.  (Please don't ever tell him I said that.  He's already insufferable. :blink: )

Insufferable?

Someone is using their 2023 word of the day calendar.  :P

I have always contended (especially at CAS distances - even old school distances) that accuracy is easy - speed is hard.

Give me a few minutes and a willing student - I can make anyone a reasonably accurate shooter.

But the difference between accuracy and speed is the difference between art and science.

Accuracy is science; it is a repeatable mechanical act - if you do exactly the same thing; you get exactly the same results.

Easy to understand (at CAS distances anyways - if we have to start calculating bullet drop, time to target and planetary rotation; thats entirely different) and pretty easy to put into practice.

Speed is an art form with the squishy human getting in the way.  It is as much a mindset as a mechanical action but because of the error prone human in the mix; results are not always as repeatable.

Going fast MIGHT result in misses; going slower won't guarantee hits - but it will guarantee slow.

Also to achieve speed (again as applies to CAS) there are MANY, MANY more moves and functions that the person has to do perfectly as any singular movement done wrong can foul the entire run.  Accuracy has fewer moving parts and fewer opportunities to derail itself.

The only way to be accurate is to understand the mechanical requirements and repeat them.

The only way to get better at speed is to go fast.

Every draw, every holster, every pickup, every discard, every step.

Every single dry fire, every practice, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Archived