SASS Wire Forum

Minimum size ultrasonic cleaner for 7.5" ROA

I'm planning to buy a decent ultrasonic cleaner for my Ruger Old Army cap guns.  What is the minimum size (internal dimensions of the tank) needed to get both guns entirely into the bath (minus wood grip panels, of course)?  Any suggestions on brand (either positive or to avoid) would be appreciated too.  I see loads of Chinesium ones on Amazon that all look basically the same.  Thanks, in advance.

On 6/14/2023 at 2:10 PM, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I'm planning to buy a decent ultrasonic cleaner for my Ruger Old Army cap guns.  What is the minimum size (internal dimensions of the tank) needed to get both guns entirely into the bath (minus wood grip panels, of course)?  Any suggestions on brand (either positive or to avoid) would be appreciated too.  I see loads of Chinesium ones on Amazon that all look basically the same.  Thanks, in advance.

I have no experience with ultrasonic cleaners, so no recommendation.  Your question surprises me because I always thought my Old Armies were easy to clean, much easier to disassemble and reassemble than a Vaquero.  What cleaning problems are you having that leads you to consider using ultrasonic, if I may ask?

Not any problems, J-BAR -- just a lot of time and a mess in the kitchen sink.  It takes me almost more time to clean my pair of ROAs than all of the smokeless guns shot on any given weekend combined.  Removing the nipples, scrubbing those little things with a toothbrush with my big hands, just a PITA.  And then I need to clean up the kitchen sink or face The Wrath of Bullion Rose.  I'm just looking for faster and easier -- call me lazy.

35 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

I'm just looking for faster and easier -- call me lazy.

I have no problem with lazy!  :D  Been called that myself!!

I won't describe how I did it in my garage because I'm sure the ultrasonic will do the job and I don't want to hijack the thead into cleaning procedures.  Different strokes for different folks.  Good luck!

Archived