SASS Wire Forum

Large front sight for Uberti 1866 rifle

JimSprouse

I have macular degeneration which is worse in my right eye.  To best describe my vision is to say I see a bit of a smudge right in  the middle of my central vision.  My left eye still is in pretty good shape so I can aim my revolvers, which I shoot with my right hand,  with my left eye.  Long guns are a different story.  I am trying to shoot them on my left shoulder but I am far from perfecting that skill.  Shooting the shotgun at fairly big targets that are close by can b e done off my right shoulder with both eyes open.  I just received the 1866 rifle and the front sight is very slim.  I can see it barely and, again,  it works ok for hitting big targets at close range.  But, I think if I had a very exaggerated front sight I could shoot with greater accuracy.  I am open to suggestions as to who, what and where to get such sights.  Thank you very much.  

Hi, I really like the Slix bead, a brass replacement for the Marbles' brass bead. You pull the stock one out and just replace it. It has to have the 3/32" stub though. I like the .175" best. .090 seems too big.

https://www.slixprings.com/proddetail.php?prod=SliX-Bead-Rifle-Sights

Archived