SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Henry in .44-40 barrel dimensions

WOLFY

Howdy y’all- I have heard that the italian made lever guns use the same riflng regardless of .44 caliber.  So a .430 lead bullet works for .44 mangler,  .44 special and .44 wcf (.44-40).

Is this true for all Uberti made guns regardless of importers like Uberti USA, Taylors & Cimarron?

How about older ones like models sold by Dixie GW, Navy Arms & EMF?

I believe I learned this from the older threads where folks would discuss “custom making” .44 special Henrys.

Mine is a Uberti .44-40 bought in about 1985, and shoots to point of aim at fifty yards with Winchester 200 grain soft point ammo and Cliff Hanger's BP ammo that I still have about 200 rounds of.

I got an 1866  Uberti rifle at the same time (insurance settlements can be fun) and does just as well with the same ammo.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What project?  What are you planning to do?

it’s a 2 part project 

1st get a Henry to feed and fire 44 spl

2nd go a step further and have the carrier adapted for 44 russian

Adapting the carrier is easy since the rifle loads from the front.  Just need to put a stop in the carrier and then cut a notch in the bolt head to clear the stop.

Here is a project.  Had a trashed Henry and a trashed 73.  Had to cut about a quarter of an inch off the front of the Henry frame and mated the Henry barrel to the 73.  Then used a transition Henry forend to finish it up.  Took more work than I originally thought because the 73 barrel and mag tube centerlines are different than the Henry barrel and magtube centerlines.  Took a little work but it works OK.  This one is in .44-40.  Good BP shooter.

DSC_0007.thumb.jpeg.ceb08e9f6888a0ad141bfabba1e23ae0.jpeg

DSC_0008.thumb.jpeg.d05712794497a3d380e9ef307178d36d.jpeg

that’s cool with the henry bbl

i’m bummed i couldn find a trapper version (it’d be neat having the capacity to load 10-12 in a shorty)

Archived