SASS Wire Forum

Time for another Aussie/Canadian question

Alpo

Here in the good old US of A, when we quote somebody we use ditto marks  "  and if in that quote we were to quote someone else, we use an apostrophe  '  .

Example: Tom said to me, "I was talking to Bob yesterday and he said, 'I'm going to rob Joe's liquor store'. Do you suppose I should tell the police - that the fool is actually serious?"

In England they do that exactly backwards. Tom said to me, 'I was talking to Bob yesterday and he said, "I'm going to...

Also here in the states we put a period after an abbreviation. Dr. Jones, Mr. Brown, Mrs. Smith. But in England they do not. Dr Jones, Mr Brown, Mrs Smith.

Since y'all spell like the British (and by that I mean incorrectly :P) I wondered if you also punctuate like them?

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Here in the good old US of A, when we quote somebody we use ditto marks  "  and if in that quote we were to quote someone else, we use an apostrophe  '  .

Example: Tom said to me, "I was talking to Bob yesterday and he said, 'I'm going to rob Joe's liquor store'. Do you suppose I should tell the police - that the fool is actually serious?"

In England they do that exactly backwards. Tom said to me, 'I was talking to Bob yesterday and he said, "I'm going to...

Also here in the states we put a period after an abbreviation. Dr. Jones, Mr. Brown, Mrs. Smith. But in England they do not. Dr Jones, Mr Brown, Mrs Smith.

Since y'all spell like the British (and by that I mean incorrectly :P) I wondered if you also punctuate like them?

................. it's called "English" for a reason ..... :P:P

In Australia we:

1. Invite other Nations to our World Series (yes, we know it's a Newspaper name but it's still fun to point it out).

2. Speak English as the English do.

3. Only go down on one knee to our Head of State.

37 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I'm glad that you speak English as the English do.

But my question was about writing English. B)

and we write the same way.

Although! as we have closer and closer links to the USA we do see both forms being used. Generally, Aust sources will recognise both forms as acceptable, but it all depends on who is reading it.

Archived