SASS Wire Forum

End of the trail

Utah Bob #35998

Now some folks are under the impression that the cowboys were a worn out, unkempt looking bunch. And on the trail that was true. But here’s an excerpt from the book We Pointed Them North by E.C. “Teddy Blue” Abbott. Abbott left home outside Lincoln Nebraska in 1878 at age 18 and hired on as a cowboy with the drives north to Montana. He said this about successfully completing his first big drive.

But before I went home, I stopped in North Platte, where they paid us off, and got some new clothes and had that picture taken. There is nothing long ago about that. I remember it like it was yesterday.I had a new white Stetson hat that I paid ten dollars for and new pants that cost 12 dollars, and a good shirt and fancy boots. They had colored tops, red and blue, with a half-moon and star on them. Lord, I was proud of those clothes! They were the kind of clothes top hands wore, and I though I was dressed right for the first time in my life. I believe one reason I went home was just so I could show them off.

But when I got there and my sister saw me she said, “take your pants out of your boots and put your coat on. You look like an Outlaw!

I told her to go to hell. And I never did like her after that.

4B5D2B87-CA4D-4958-8642-7792A764387F.jpeg

In Centennial Michener gives a nice account of the preparation of the cowboys for the end of the drive to Centennial.   The attempts to press their shirts, press their bandannas, and in general spiff themselves up before entering the town.  Proud young men, and vain as such men often are.

Dress nice. Get chicks. ;)

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I always looked at it as “dress nice, get treated better.” ;)

Yeah, but you haven’t been on a 6 month trail drive. ;)

Archived