• 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp cream cheese
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 4 tbsp flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup beer (sub with water or milk)
  • 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs (might need a bit extra)
  • cooking oil as needed for deep frying

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In a skillet over medium heat brown the bratwurst while breaking it up with a wooden spatula or spoon.* Add the diced onion, mix it in and let soften. Once the bratwurst is fully cooked let the mixture cool down. 
  2. In a mixing bowl add the drained sauerkraut, breadcrumbs, parsley, cream cheese, salt and pepper, garlic powder and cooled off bratwurst and onion mixture.
  3. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated and form into golf-sized balls. Arrange them on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 min to let them firm up. 
  4. Prepare a breading set up - one bowl with flour, one bowl with the beaten eggs + beer (sub water/milk), one bowl with breadcrumbs.

TO DEEP FRY

1. Over medium-high in a deep frying pan heat enough cooking oil to fully submerge the balls to 350 F. 
  2. Bread the chilled sauerkraut balls (coat with flour, then egg wash, then roll in bread crumbs). 
  3. Fry a few at a time until golden brown and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. 

TO BAKE

1. Heat oven to 375 F. 
  2. Bread the chilled sauerkraut balls (coat with flour, then egg wash, then roll in bread crumbs), arrange on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Sounds like it could be tasty - bratwurst, sauerkraut, deep fried - hey what's not to like?

Boiled potatoes would be a great side. 

STL Suomi

Sounds good  to me.  I wish my old business partner was still around.  She was  superb German lady who tried her best for eleven years to feed me to death.  She didn't speak English all that well bu the clients loved her and she always went to her "home call appointments"" with some home made goodies.

I'll gather up the fixins and whip up a batch.

And Hanna, ein pros't!

Archived