SASS Wire Forum

New Eagle Scout

Earning the rank of Eagle Scout requires a TON of work over the course of a few years, completion of a project, and passing a review board interview.

About five years ago I chaired an Eagle Scout Review Board for a young Scout.  Some would argue too young; he was, as I recall, a few days shy of his fourteenth birthday.  I will confess to having been a mite curious about how this could be - in my experience, the lion's share of new Eagle candidates had scrambled madly to complete the requirements by their eighteenth birthday - the mandatory cutoff age.

When we completed our interview and the youngster stepped out of the room, I turned to one of the other board members and said, "we have just met 'Doogie Scouter.'"  He indeed earned his Eagle.  He is now an eighteen-year-old junior at California State University Fresno.

Well... last night, I was on the Review Board for his sister, Zoë, who is now our county's first female Eagle Scout. 

At age fourteen.

At first meeting, she comes across as a typical fourteen year old, happy and cheerful.  Actually, she is a typical fourteen year old, and a whole lot more.

She's a fourteen year old high school sophomore - skipped her freshman year, and is looking at early graduation.  She has already completed sixty semester units of college courses, is active in 4-H and FFA, does multiple school extracurricular activities, is active in her church, and does a ton of volunteer work.  And the youngster has already earned 57 merit badges.  Her favorites?  Rifle and shotgun shooting!  

Over the last dozen years I have chaired or participated in well over a hundred Eagle Boards of Review.  By far, this has been my favorite thing in Scouting - you get to meet some really, really cool kids.  If any of y'all have never done this and ever have the opportunity, I encourage you to do it.  It'll do wonders toward restoring faith in the youth of our country - there are still a LOT of good kids out there.

image.png.c7d7946f44a7bd8d31d836f0006f49e4.png

Fourteen is pretty amazing!

17/1973 for me. :) Good God, closing in on 50 years ago now. :blink:

The Scoutmasters - Harris, White, Tobol, Deadmond - all long gone now, of course. :( Good, dedicated men, one and all.

100_2030.JPG.cf7c7cd420645c2bc0600116d785ebdf.JPG

Archived