SASS Wire Forum

What makes a "custom" gun?

On 12/15/2021 at 3:37 PM, El CupAJoe said:

Oh look! Custom gun!  The isolation made me do it.. 

20211214_205206.jpg

I have dubbed it, the Ben Shapiro, because it's shortish, circumcised and persuasive in an argument...

THAT .... be jail bait in my country ......   :mellow:

8 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

THAT .... be jail bait in my country ......   :mellow:

kept it out of fed length in my country... still have a bit of work to do on it.  should have plenty of time to finish it this quarantine, had a second kid just test positive... whole family still symptomless thank God... this wrecks our plans to be with family for Christmas this year... so I may as well be locked up right now <_<

5 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

kept it out of fed length in my country... still have a bit of work to do on it.  should have plenty of time to finish it this quarantine, had a second kid just test positive... whole family still symptomless thank God... this wrecks our plans to be with family for Christmas this year... so I may as well be locked up right now <_<

........ as we say in my country ...... "bugger!"  :(

Just now, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

........ as we say in my country ...... "bugger!"  :(

haha, I lived in Kenya 5 years, I say it too!  :D

I have a story about how I acquired a premier custom gun done by one of the old time pistolsmiths.  My brother and I were in a celebratory mood because I had just received a joyous second opinion from the Cleveland Clinic regarding my heart.  So rather than drive back to my brother's house on the freeway, we decided to take the scenic route out of Cleveland, US Route 322.  We get out into the suburbs and on the left is a small strip plaza with a gun shop right in the middle of it.  My brother found a place to turn around and we went back to the gun shop.

At the second case in the shop there was a custom gun that I never thought I would ever see, much less have a chance to buy.  It was a Colt Government Model Series 70 Long Heavy Slide .45 made by Jim Clark, the old time pistolsmith who won the U. S. National Pistol Championship in 1958 and developed the long slide .45. The gun came with a pouch from Jim Clark's shop.   The proprietor was a gentleman about my age and we started talking about all the old time custom pistolsmiths like Jim Clark, Austin Behlert and John Giles.  

My brother was starting to see that the proprietor and I could carry the conversation on for a considerable period of time.  So my brother asked the proprietor what the cash price would be.  I laid down a Golden Dollar for a deposit and my brother and I went to the bank to get the cash.  And with that I ended up with a beautiful custom gun made by one of the premier custom pistolsmiths.

Archived