SASS Wire Forum

A Smoke Wagon in 44-40 to complete my set-up.

"Big Boston"

I do suffer from the "just one more complete set-up syndrome", I've tried heeding the nagging and warnings, but I don't listen too well. 

My main set is 38/357, and to change up things a bit I added a rifle and one handgun in 44-40 and 45 Long Colt. I should have been satisfied with this, but then I saw a used Smoke Wagon in 44-40, and had to have it. It is a good looking companion for my Vaquero. 

513693937_44-40set.thumb.jpg.b601504c5158429a6cbaeafcae4db6cc.jpg

The Smoke Wagon has only been with me a day or two, but I'm not an immediate fan of the automatic firing pin safety. My question is; Can one learn to live with this feature, or can it be modified, or is it best retrofitted with the older style parts?

I didn't expect the creep in a Colt style SAA, something that you expect with a Vaquero, but to have it on a SAA, surprised me. 

My Smoke Wagon has some other issues and the Seller and I are working on getting warrantee repairs. once those are completed and if I still own this when the smoke clears, pun intended, I'd like to make it run a bit smoother. What details should I attend to first?

BB  

Is it a standard Smokewagon or deluxe?  The deluxe have had action work.  You can retrofit with old style hammer and trigger:

https://taylorsfirearms.com/catalog/product/view/id/12766/s/old-style-parts-kit-for-uberti-retractable-firing-pin-revolvers/category/464/

Converting a revolver to the "old style" hammer and trigger has come up recently, but I can't remember the thread author's name.  He called Uberti, I believe, and was told that the revolvers couldn't be converted.  It's best to call VTI Gun parts as they list the parts needed for the conversion and ask them, as other owners have said that the conversion can be done.

4 hours ago, "Big Boston" said:

I do suffer from the "just one more complete set-up syndrome", I've tried heeding the nagging and warnings, but I don't listen too well. 

My main set is 38/357, and to change up things a bit I added a rifle and one handgun in 44-40 and 45 Long Colt. I should have been satisfied with this, but then I saw a used Smoke Wagon in 44-40, and had to have it. It is a good looking companion for my Vaquero. 

513693937_44-40set.thumb.jpg.b601504c5158429a6cbaeafcae4db6cc.jpg

The Smoke Wagon has only been with me a day or two, but I'm not an immediate fan of the automatic firing pin safety. My question is; Can one learn to live with this feature, or can it be modified, or is it best retrofitted with the older style parts?

I didn't expect the creep in a Colt style SAA, something that you expect with a Vaquero, but to have it on a SAA, surprised me. 

My Smoke Wagon has some other issues and the Seller and I are working on getting warrantee repairs. once those are completed and if I still own this when the smoke clears, pun intended, I'd like to make it run a bit smoother. What details should I attend to first?

BB  

Better keep them in different safes .

If they breed your going to end up with a Heritage rough Rider :P

Archived