SASS Wire Forum

Benelli verses beretta

Trigger Mike

I found a base model Benelli 828u over/under and bought it for my sons to use for shotgun team.  The higher end model weighs over a pound extra I am told.   The base model was 2300 and the high end was 4000.  2300 seemed better for a kid to use..  They kept complaining it kicks a lot even though Benelli puts pads inside the stock.  It seems fine to me but the coaches also complain about the recoil.   My 11 year old had his first match with it and halfway through switched to a semiauto.   He shot average with it.  His brother also shot reasonable with it.  

I then found a beretta 686 with a 32 inch barrel versus the Benelli 30 inch barrel for 1650, nib.  My 15 year old took it to a match and improved on skeet and trap in high winds but did worse on sporting clays,  shooting way behind most targets. 

My 11 year old went to practice this week with the beretta and kept up with the high school kid on the team that is in the top 4 of the state.  His game improved so much the coach was really pleased.   Now no one likes the Benelli,  except me.  

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Most of the recoil issue is from the stock shape. 

Put a mercury recoil reducer in that Benni stock.

OLG 

Never heard of that, I'll look.  Also, the gun came with shims to adjust the LOP and pitch.  Would adjusting pitch or LOP also help?  

The 828U is a good gun to carry hunting and fire an occassional shot.  It has been pretty much universally panned as a clay sports gun.  It is simply to light and the recoil will wear you down pronto.  It has also had reliability problems.  Benelli had to come out with the 828U Sport that weighs considerably more.  Unfortunately it also costs more and very few are being sold.  For a kid a semi-auto might be a better choice as they generally have less recoil.  The Beretta A400 Xcel with the kick off recoil reducer is hard to beat for a kid.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My oldest took the benelli to practice today.  I added a 6 ounce weight under the barrel.  According to one of his teammates who is the 4th in the state, the rib curves up in the middle so the rise needs adjustment.   He missed several but some of that could be due to his bad attitude as he wanted to shoot the beretta and I told him his brother is using it Tuesday for a match so we will let it rest.  He ticked me off complaining so much.  

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

My oldest took the benelli to practice today.  I added a 6 ounce weight under the barrel.  According to one of his teammates who is the 4th in the state, the rib curves up in the middle so the rise needs adjustment.   He missed several but some of that could be due to his bad attitude as he wanted to shoot the beretta and I told him his brother is using it Tuesday for a match so we will let it rest.  He ticked me off complaining so much.  

Tell him he is done shooting for the season. He needs to mature up.

OLG 

Archived