SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894cs feeding crosswise sometimes - fixed video added

Warden Callaway

WOW, sorry to hear the shim made it worse. :o

I have never had that happen. 

Would you be willing to post some pictures of the carrier for us.

Did you ever try switching levers?

Tell use the details of the ammo you use.

OLG 

Between tasting,  I installed a new, never been installed carrier just to see.  "Letting in two" jam on opening the lever.  So I went back to the old carrier that I had built up the cam area.  I installed the shim on the left side this time. Still crosswise feed. 

Screw it.  I swapped out the bolt out of Sawmill Mary's CBL (While she was busy scrubbing the kitchen floor.), and it cycles like a corn sheller.  I'll maybe look at this again in the winter months.  

I hope someone got something out of this exercise - even if only entertainment. 

Thanks guys.   

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Between tasting,  I installed a new, never been installed carrier just to see.  "Letting in two" jam on opening the lever.  So I went back to the old carrier that I had built up the cam area.  I installed the shim on the left side this time. Still crosswise feed. 

Screw it.  I swapped out the bolt out of Sawmill Mary's CBL (While she was busy scrubbing the kitchen floor.), and it cycles like a corn sheller.  I'll maybe look at this again in the winter months.  

I hope someone got something out of this exercise - even if only entertainment. 

Thanks guys.   

Did you compare the shape of the 2 carriers?

Are the extractors shaped the same in both bolts?

How much up/down movement do the extractors have in the bolt? Is there more movement in one bolt than the other.

Do the extractors have the same amount of spring tension? 

You ain't giving up....

Besides, we'll tell Mary. :lol:

OLG 

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did you compare the shape of the 2 carriers?

Are the extractors shaped the same in both bolts?

How much up/down movement do the extractors have in the bolt? Is there more movement in one bolt than the other.

Do the extractors have the same amount of spring tension? 

You ain't giving up....

Besides, we'll tell Mary. :lol:

I hate to leave you hanging but I've got other fish to fry.  Sometimes I have to put things aside and take another fresh look later on. 

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hope Mary doesn't see this thread. Poor old WC may not be able to type for a good spell

She keeps to her knitting.  The Wire doesn't interest her.  I'll occasionally show her something in Classified and she will remind me that I can't buy them all. 

Well, I broke it to Sawmill Mary that I borrowed the bolt out of her 1894 CBL and planned to use it tomorrow.  I got "the look" :angry: and a lecture and a threat.  :rolleyes:

Although I've suspended working on the gun,  I've been doing research.  The extractor in her CBL looks different than standard.  I looked all over for a Marlin extractor that looked like this one. All Marlin parts lists 514569. 

But I stumbled onto a custom extractor called the "Sure Claw".  That's what it looks like.  I'm going to get one from F&D Gunsmith (Gunsmith Frank) and see if that fixes my problem. 

12 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Well, I broke it to Sawmill Mary that I borrowed the bolt out of her 1894 CBL and planned to use it tomorrow.  I got "the look" :angry: and a lecture and a threat.  :rolleyes:

Although I've suspended working on the gun,  I've been doing research.  The extractor in her CBL looks different than standard.  I looked all over for a Marlin extractor that looked like this one. All Marlin parts lists 514569. 

But I stumbled onto a custom extractor called the "Sure Claw".  That's what it looks like.  I'm going to get one from F&D Gunsmith (Gunsmith Frank) and see if that fixes my problem. 

Warden,

I think that is the same 1-piece Extractor that Slick McClade also sells.   I use one in one of my main match .32 Marlins and it works great.

Tell Frank that ole Widder sez... HI.

Good luck.

..........Widder

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WC, check our Ranger Point Precession for the best extractor made for the Marlin 94.

Widder and I did a bunch of prototype testing of this product for RPP.

OLG 

I did some research on old archived Wire post and it wasn't very encouraging.   And they are twice the cost and look complicated. 

If it's a Sure Claw in Sawmill Mary's Cowboy,  I know it works. I'll see Gunsmith Frank at our match tomorrow.  

They are not complicated at all.

In fact-it's the best design out there.

Try the other and if it don't work. Give the RPP a go.

Go to the RPP site for information most folks don't know about the Marlin bolt and extractor locations. 

Good luck :excl:

OLG 

I do think the RPP is the best design for the 1894.

I was also involved with the prototype extractors with Gunsmith Frank and Slick before they started marketing

their present product.   Frank was good to work with and a very nice feller.  

I really do use Franks Extractor in my Marlin and it does work great.   I had it before RPP started their work but I will

admit that RPP has done some nice engineering work on their 1894 Extractors.

Its a good thing that we all have those choices.

..........Widder

Our match was called on account of rain this morning but I got to talk with Gunsmith Frank before we broke up.  The extractor in Sawmill Mary's CBL is not a "Sure Claw" but he's going to send me one.  

When we got home,  I took the extractor out of Sawmill Mary's bolt and compaired it to a new extractor I had in reserve. 

2120984648_Marlin1894extractorsAugust2020.jpg.8a3dff9cdd0b3caa4b0dd5a6db4a9332.jpg

The extractor above is out of the much newer CBL.  The one below is a new one that I have that is like the one in the 1894c. Doing more research, upper one is part number F406300.  The lower one 514269.

Widder,  l said HI to Frank for you.  

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Put that other extractor in the bolt of your problem child rife and cycle test it.

OLG 

I actually thought of that.  But I wanted to get Sawmill Mary's rifle back together and in the safe.  I did show her how cruddy the ejector and hole in the bolt were like I was really doing a good deed by knocking it out.   She was knitting but took a moment to notice. 

Rain is in the forcast all this week so I may go through my collection and see where/when the the change in extractors was made.  

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Rain is in the forcast all this week so I may go through my collection and see where/when the the change in extractors was made.  

Good luck with your 'dating' plan.   Marlin could have had a 2-3 year supply of older Extractors before actually initiating new style

in ALL their rifles.  In other words, depending whose on the assembly line can determine what parts go in the gun at a specific

time frame.

ALSO, how do we know one of those extractors was actually produced by Marlin?   

I've seen more oddities in a Marlin than I care to think about.   And the owner was sure it came that way from the factory...... :O

Its also possible that it was placed in the rifle BEFORE it got its final angle cut on the beak area.  

Then again, you may very well be able to find such history.   Good luck.

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Marlin could have had a 2-3 year supply of older Extractors before actually initiating new style

The old model, I'm talking year 1894 though to the Great War were shorter in length - so it can't be for that model.  I have several "pre-safety" reintroduced 1894 that all have the sheet metal extractor.  The 1894cs is the only early safety model I have and the extractor looks like it started out like the lower one. All our other Marlins are newer Cowboys and have extractor like the above one.  I don't have any between the 1894cs made in 1984 and the Cowboys to see if any had the extractor like the lower one. 

I know I bought a couple of the extractors as Marlin parts - probably through MidwayUSA or Numrich Gun Parts.   The number still runs up to a part that looks like the lower part in every way and is represented as a Marlin part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113449177162

But eBay parts are always suspect. 

• 4 weeks later...

Something I didn't mention was the angle and consistency of the ejection.  It was at right angle to the gun. The 30 cases were within a 3' diameter spot even though I did do at least one sweep.  I can't say why, but all our Marlins eject pretty much at right angle to the gun. And yet others testify that their Marlins throw cases forward. 

I put up a video of just the three runs so you don't have to go through six minutes of me mumbling and missing the punch with the hammer

• 2 weeks later...

Archived