SASS Wire Forum

What would you fetch along

Alpo

Back in the 20's colt ran an add for their .25 auto showing a big black bear they said was killed by one. If you think this out as living then, not as going back to, I would take a 1903 Colt in .32 that was the hot set up then, light, dependable ammo available any where in the world .

I would prefer the .45Colt, but in a situation like this, I’d carry a Colt M1911 in a shoulder holster AND three canvas Military double-mag pouches, giving me 42 rounds in the 6 extra mags, and 7 rounds in the pistol.  I’d have a 2-1/4”double thick gun belt made (rough sides of leather inside touching), to carry a (possible) canvas or leather holster for the pistol and the mag pouches.  I’d also have 4 other loose, loaded mags in my kit.  Extra box of ammo, too.  Animals not likely to bother you, but several people together with primitive weapons can make a mess of you pretty quick, if you can’t overwhelm them with significant rapid fire.  Any animal posing a threat would likely be killed or discouraged by a few loud .45acp rounds fired at or near (it depends) them.

I’d bring a rig like this along, even if my job kept me at the hotel, a base camp or in the field.  You’d have to watch that rig closely to prevent it being stolen.  Even in 1925

The only real danger on a trip like that, in those times and today, is not from animals,  but from humans.  Even here.  

EDIT;

Colt had to have been hung over pretty badly to have created that .25auto ad with the bear.  

I don't know about that.

Bella Twin, 63 year old Canadian Indian woman, in 1953 killed a grizzle bear that held the world's record for several years.

She used a single-shot 22 long. Not long rifle - long.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

Maybe that Colt ad is true.

Skeeter, in an article about the 32/20, told about a friend of his that moved to Alaska. His only gun was a 4" Colt Police Positive 32/20. A year later Skeet went to visit him. He said the man served him moose steak, and there was a brown bear skin on the wall. He said he was not claiming that the man had killed moose and brown bear with that little pistol, but it was still the only gun he had.

Archived