SASS Wire Forum

Baikal build

Boomstick Bruce

As some of you may know, I've been running a Stevens 315 single trigger for CAS since my 3rd match but unfortunately, unlike it's cousin the 311, it's not quite built like an anvil. Every 5 matches or so I have to bend the firing pins back straight to keep it from doubling. It's a design flaw and really there isn't much anyone can do to stop it. Don't get me wrong, it's a great shotgun but it's not built for the rigors of CAS. I had been trying for months to decide on a new shotgun and eventually settled on a Baikal. I shot one that was slicked up and really liked it. So I bought myself a brand new in box engraved Baikal izh43-e single trigger 12 gague sxs for Christmas. Man, was that thing rough! I got on YouTube, got on the wire, asked some questions and after a ton of work. I finally have a shotgun that I think is going to do me good!  

First thing I did was pull it completely apart and clean it out. I went to the shotgun range and put 200 shells through it to break it in. That didn't help in the least bit. I remember someone saying "the good thing about the Baikal is it's built like a Russian tank, the bad thing about the Baikal is it's built like a Russian tank."

So I again took it completely apart, polished all the moving parts, deactivated the ejectors, welded the two extractors together and using my welder and grinder, I modified the now 1 piece extractor to engage the lug and do it's job without the springs. Next I got on the wire and started hunting for new hammer springs. As y'all know the best thing to use is stock vaquero hammer springs. Yule lose send me a bunch of springs and I found a set that worked out perfectly. I then cut the hammer cocking cams so the barrels will stay open further for reloading. Next I cut the hourglass extractor in half and epoxied the top half down. Finally I decided it was time to cut the barrels. This I had a hard time doing to this beautiful brand new gun with it's gorgeous wood, deep bluing, amateurish engraving and threaded barrels. Everything up until now is reversable. But I marked the barrel at 20", got out my metabo, plugged it in, and was just getting ready to turn it on when a voice in my head said "checkkk eeebaaayy". So I did. And what do you know? A 20" Bounty Hunter II barrel for $115 shipped! I couldn't turn it doqn!!!

Well it showed up today and after about 4 hours of grinding, filing, sanding, welding and cussing here is the final result:

IMG_20190215_164025.jpg

13 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

How do the new barrels fit ?

After about for hours of measuring, gringing, filing and testing fitment, they are a perfect fit... 

Due to minor differences between my izh43 and the bounty Hunter II, which is what the barrels are from, I had to add metal to the extractor rod. The gun works in the workshop with snap caps and primed empty shells but I haven't tested it with live ammo yet. My better half gets a little upset when I fire shotguns in the house...

Archived