SASS Wire Forum

IMR-4759 in 44-40 WCF

Bugler

13 hours ago, Snakebite said:

Well I've never heard any "Myth" that the 92 was a weak action, and it is not a "Myth" that Smokeless powders should not be used in the early 73's. 

Oh yes, many many forums...I can argue with those guys all day long

I can attest that a 92 Winchester is a strong action ...

In error late one night reloading for a match, I charged a 45 Colt Rossi '92 with with grams instead of grains of Blue Dot.  The first shot sounded like a howitzer ... only damage - bulged the chamber and cost me a new barrel

7 hours ago, John Boy said:

In error late one night reloading for a match, I charged a 45 Colt Rossi '92 with with grams instead of grains of Blue Dot.  The first shot sounded like a howitzer ... only damage - bulged the chamber and cost me a new barrel

:o I bet that woke up the neighborhood!!

7 hours ago, John Boy said:

Confused!!    1 gram equals 15.4 grains   How would that be possible?   GW

21 hours ago, Savvy Jack said:

When Winchester first offered smokeless powder in 1895 for the 44-40, The box was labeled Winchester 73'

Understanding history keeps us from repeating it. 

1895: Red Label- Smokeless powder was offered for the .44 Winchester during this year. It is believed that Dupont #2 Bulk powder was used and had a similar burn rate as today's 4227. Dupont #2 was a caseload but 4227 is not. Also "NOT FOR PISTOLS" is noted on the side label. The Nomenclature on the label specifically states "for Winchester Rifle Model 1873"...eliminating the myth that smokeless powders should not be used in original Winchester 73' rifles BUT does confirm smokeless powders should not be used in black powder frame revolvers.Other changes to the labels included Winchester 92 on the side label and eventually both 73' and 92' on the top label.

It is believed that Dupont #2 Bulk powder had a similar burn rate as today's 4227. At some point the use of Dupont #2 was switched to Sharpshooter's and SR80, and believed to be similar to today's 2400 powder.

Alliants Magnum powder is 2400

IMR's Magnum powder is 4227: https://imrpowder.com/imr-4227/

Archived