SASS Wire Forum

Reloading the .357 SIG: Just my observations

I just wanted to share my reloading experience about the .357 SIG cartridge.

AND...I invite others who have similar or even different experiences so that we can all learn a little better about this great pistol cartridge.

I resize all my brass using a .40/10mm carbide die.   This method ONLY resizes the body portion of the case but, it keeps me from needing a lube on the cases.

Here lies THE ONLY problem I have encountered in reloading the .357 SIG..... I've had to use a very small depriming pin because about 1/2 of my brass has a very small flash hole.  I have now uniformed all my flash holes to .077/.078, which is basically 5/64th.

Half of them are already 5/64 but the other half were smaller.

If you are reloading .357 SIG and find that some primers are nearly impossible to punch out, use a small deprimer pin and then drill out that flash hole to .077/.078   (5/64).   This will help give you better consistency with your ammo.

This can be done using a drill bit, OR... if you have one of those 'Inside the case flash hole deburring'  tools for small pistol/rifle (Brownells/Sinclair), you can use it to uniform those flash holes.   

I then use my .357 SIG die and I neck size only BUT, I have my die set up to give a slight 'bump' on the shoulder.   From some articles I have read about the .357 SIG, some of the writers feel that it headspaces at the case mouth because it is rimless.   BUT, there seems to be an equal number of writers who feel it headspaces at the shoulder.

I'm in the 'shoulder headspace' group and therefore, I have my die set up as such.

For me, this works great, BUT... it is still very important that case OAL be kept within proper lengths because you don't want that neck to start growing longer and interfering with proper chambering of your rounds.

And because my die is set just for neck and shoulder bumping, I don't have to use any lube because the carbide resizing allows the case to go into the non-carbide .357 SIG die and not get squeezed and require lubing.

I then give a slight flare of the case mouth, just enough to start the bullet.   PLEASE NOTE:   I may be lucky, but once I push the bullet down inside the case, it is tight.  My 'only' crimping is just to squeeze the 'flare' back to normal diameter because my bullets fit REALLY tight in that short case mouth.

There are justifiable concerns about this part of the .357 SIG case mouth.   There are those who feel that the actual area that holds the bullet is so short, it causes inconsistencies in a secure bullet hold.   And during the feeding process into the chamber, the bullet gets pushed back into the case.   This can cause feeding issues.

I haven't experienced this problem with my reloads, which is probably why I really like this cartridge.

That about covers what I was wanting to share, hoping it might help others.    And, if you have a different opinion or experience, please feel free to share.

This particular reloading topic can be beneficial to all of us.

I own two .357 SIG caliber pistols:   SIG P320 and a SIG P229 Legion.

..........Widder

Thanks for the tips! I just got a .357 SIG barrel for my M&P Compact, and I'll start loading for it eventually. I already have a start on a collection of brass for it.

SAAMI states that it was designed to headspace on the mouth of the case and not the shoulder. Given how hot the round is I would be surprised if the shoulder dimension didn't change and conform to the chamber when it was fired.

I also believe it would be entirely possible to set up your dies so that it would headspace on the shoulder vice the mouth of the case. However doing so may result in cases that will work in only one firearm.

This is one round where a case gauge is probably worth every penny.

Here is a link to the SAAMI Spec

1 minute ago, Tennessee williams said:

How does the .357sig caliber compare to the .40? I'm not a fan of the .40 because of the firecracker like recoil it produces.

I haven't shot them side-by-side but my impression is the recoil is about the same in my M&P Compact. (I have .40, .357 SIG, and 9mm barrels for it.) The .357 SIG is like a .40's worth of powder pushing a 9mm bullet.

56 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

How does the .357sig caliber compare to the .40? I'm not a fan of the .40 because of the firecracker like recoil it produces.

Sparky's correct in that the .357 SIG is like shooting a 9mm with a .40's worth of powder.

I like to think of it more like a sup'd up 9mm...... or a 9mm on steroids.

BOTH seem to have good bullet selections for reloading, within their respective calibers.   But I like getting that 124/125 grain .355 diameter bullets into the velocity range of the .357 magnum with same bullet weights.   

And some of the performances of Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP bullets are outstanding.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince anyone that one caliber is better than the other.

I just wanted to share some of my reloading information that might help others who are having issues in reloading the .357 SIG..... particularly with the issue of the small flash holes.

Hope to see you Saturday.   I'll bring my SIG's with me..... and my Buckmarks.     Be sure to bring your Hammerli.

..........Widder

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Sparky's correct in that the .357 SIG is like shooting a 9mm with a .40's worth of powder.

I like to think of it more like a sup'd up 9mm...... or a 9mm on steroids.

BOTH seem to have good bullet selections for reloading, within their respective calibers.   But I like getting that 124/125 grain .355 diameter bullets into the velocity range of the .357 magnum with same bullet weights.   

And some of the performances of Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP bullets are outstanding.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to convince anyone that one caliber is better than the other.

I just wanted to share some of my reloading information that might help others who are having issues in reloading the .357 SIG..... particularly with the issue of the small flash holes.

Hope to see you Saturday.   I'll bring my SIG's with me..... and my Buckmarks.     Be sure to bring your Hammerli.

..........Widder

That's some good info widder. I've stayed away from them because of the .40. Id like to try one.

I'll bring the hammerli. I think slater and me is gonna hussle up a trade on it. I'm waiting on a list from him of what he has in stock. I started reworking the custom 617 but maybe I'll finish it by Saturday. I'm gonna bring some performance centers for you to try out. They just might change your gun religion...

P.S.  

Leave the east Tennessee dog whoopins back east.

NO WAY..... I'm bringing an  "E.TN Dog Whoopin"  with me this Saturday.   Just be sure to wear your asbestos underwear cause I plan to heat things up a little bit..... :lol::lol:

Heck, I've already started feeling sorry for you, Randy, PeeDee, Drifter and Imis.   I might just team up with C.W. and both of us will put a 'tag team' whoopin on ya..... :o

:lol::lol:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

NO WAY..... I'm bringing an  "E.TN Dog Whoopin"  with me this Saturday.   Just be sure to wear your asbestos underwear cause I plan to heat things up a little bit..... :lol::lol:

Heck, I've already started feeling sorry for you, Randy, PeeDee, Drifter and Imis.   I might just team up with C.W. and both of us will put a 'tag team' whoopin on ya..... :o

:lol::lol:

..........Widder

Widder, I thought you was on a diet. You come over this way and you'll wreck it eating all this humble pie we got waiting for ya! Don't worry, Imis is keeping it covered up with his hat so the flies yall left last time dont land on it.

Make shore'n take a picture for the bunkhouse boss before you leave so she recognizes you when ya get back home. 

We hate to whoop up on you and C.W. but we aint above it neither.

default_laugh.png

Archived