SASS Wire Forum

Christmas Day Did Some Work

Smoken D

I had some time on Christmas so I made these display cases. Picked them up today after having the glass installed and ironed the red felt smooth and then spray glued them to the back. Have no idea how many I have made over the years. The veteran they go to I never charge for them since that veteran has already paid the price. For me it was a good way to spend on Christmas Day.:FlagAm:

Flag Case.jpg

Ironing.jpg

Someone asked me how I cut the angles via message and I was unable to provide photos in the reply so I'm using the thread for that response.

Well, I live in the poorest county in the state of Missouri. (No Jobs) Also very many older folks so I asked the local VFW around an average of how many vets die per month. They told me around 15-20. I could never be able to have time to make that many or afford to make that many. My cost is around $20 each. Have a mill not far from me and able to get my rough lumber, but I do have to plan them down. So, I give them away at church. Seems like as soon as I make them they are gone. I make 4 at a time because where I get the glass cut the old gal charges me for one plate of glass which she can get 4 cut out of. Now the angle I believe is actually 67.5 degrees. I made a perfect 90 degree jig that I use on the miter saw. Once that is set I move the blade to 22.5 degrees where I make the 4 bottom cuts and they match up perfect. Of course the top is a 45 degree cut which I use my table saw for. Also word of mouth about me giving them away is how contact is made. I contacted my local Representative about the government getting involved in this. We give the surviving spouse a flag, why not something to put it in? Anyway she had it looked into and responded that there is no wording in the federal statue that allows for it. She gave me the statue number and I plan on writing a petition, giving it to all the VFW's in Missouri to have them signed requesting the added amendment in the statue to have the government provide the display boxes. Maybe next summer before the big elections. This could provide another job opportunity in America also making that statue requiring those boxes being made in America. If I can will attach a photo of the jig, If I can't get it attached will add it to the thread so you can see it. Looks like I'll have to attach the photos to that thread.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Archived