SASS Wire Forum

? on rear sight on Pedersoli Trapdoor 45-70

Diamond Curly SASS#57086

I received a Pedersoli from a relative who had this rifle and could not get it to shoot POA at 100 yards. Took it to the range first time today and five shots at 50 yards was shooting  6 inches high. Went over to the 100 yard range and same sighting was over 12 inches high. The rear sight was all the way back so no more adjustment left to bring the POI down. I am not a rifle shooter so am not sure what I need to do. The previous owner was sure the rear sight on the rifle was not any good and maybe that is why he gifted it to me. LOL  Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't mind buying a new rear sight if needed but want to know if that really is the problem. DC

If it is shooting high with the rear sight at lowest setting the front sight post is too short.  Raising the rear sight raises the POI and the relationship between front sight height change and POI is the opposite.

With my original Trapdoor Carbine I could not hit anything. Aim at the ground in front of the target and shoot over it. Even fabricated a shorter front sight, better but still not good. Then switched from 330 grn Bullets to 405 grn, and viola! Hitting the targets! Moral of the story, find a load YOUR rifle likes. 

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

With my original Trapdoor Carbine I could not hit anything. Aim at the ground in front of the target and shoot over it. Even fabricated a shorter front sight, better but still not good. Then switched from 330 grn Bullets to 405 grn, and viola! Hitting the targets! Moral of the story, find a load YOUR rifle likes. 

I started with 535's then 500 and now 405 and still shooting high. I am not sure what 330's will do but willing to try.

I have the same gun and it is probably very true to the original as it hits a foot high at 100 yards and dead on at 200; I just felt it was a standard military approach in that you aim center of mass and you’ll hit an enemy combatant somewhere out to about 300 yards. 

The additional steps on the sight are actually pretty accurate if you stick with the standard carbine load (45-55-405), at least out to 600 yards which is as far as I’ve shot mine. 

I have spoken to several shooters who installed a taller front sight to allow hitting poa at 100 yards. 

16 minutes ago, Crisco said:

I have the same gun and it is probably very true to the original as it hits a foot high at 100 yards and dead on at 200; I just felt it was a standard military approach in that you aim center of mass and you’ll hit an enemy combatant somewhere out to about 300 yards. 

The additional steps on the sight are actually pretty accurate if you stick with the standard carbine load (45-55-405), at least out to 600 yards which is as far as I’ve shot mine. 

I have spoken to several shooters who installed a taller front sight to allow hitting poa at 100 yards. 

Thank you!

Archived